Fire management

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cavemansmoking

Original poster
Dec 11, 2018
Good evening, err morning

I have decided to take on my first pork butt and am having a hell of a time .I'm using the Oklahoma Joes bandera offset smoker .

I start with a chimney of charcaol .Get them embers white and preheat the smoker . Goes up to 250 and I work it down to 230-225 .then I add a log and it shoots up to 250. I wait until it's back down to 220 before adding another log .I have been doing this since 11 tonight .I am having a hard time maintaining 225-230 .

Please help .

That is exactly what happens in an offset, when you add a split the temp will spike & then settle down. You may want to try adding smaller splits more often, but it sounds to me like your doing everything right. Your maintaining your coal bed & that is the most important part. Besides smoking anywhere between 225 - 300 is just fine. Don't get to obsessed with the temp fluctuations. I smoke my butts at 270-280.
Al

That is exactly what happens in an offset, when you add a split the temp will spike & then settle down. You may want to try adding smaller splits more often, but it sounds to me like your doing everything right. Your maintaining your coal bed & that is the most important part. Besides smoking anywhere between 225 - 300 is just fine. Don't get to obsessed with the temp fluctuations. I smoke my butts at 270-280.
Al
Thank you very much Al. Started smoking at 11 last night because I was told 2 hours per pound .it's almost six here and I just hit an IT of 190.

The Al Man speak Truth.

One method is to stoke plenty of fuel and then keep a close eye on how much air you let in.

If you want to get seriously serious, have a separate fire where your wood goes past its first green-and-smoky phase and it's more like half-burned coals when it actually goes into the smoker.

The Al Man speak Truth.

One method is to stoke plenty of fuel and then keep a close eye on how much air you let in.

If you want to get seriously serious, have a separate fire where your wood goes past its first green-and-smoky phase and it's more like half-burned coals when it actually goes into the smoker.
I like that idea. Being a beginner I am always looking for ideas .

Yeah your fire will flux in an offset usually not to big a deal. What I found is the best way is just making sure your coal bed is constantly being maintained. Maintain the hell out the coals and use the wood to compliment them. Don't be afraid to let the wood burn down a bit and brush some of the old coals out and lay a fresh new bed using your chimney and then add a few smaller chuncks or splits of wood. Rinse and repeat.
Hope it turned out. Good luck.

Reactions: Cavemansmoking
IMG_20181216_085140147.jpg
IMG_20181216_085146236.jpg

Another thing about the offsets is, the built-in thermometers are famously inaccurate regardless of brand. Invest in a good probe thermometer.

Wow babysitting an offset for an overnight cook - impressive. That butt look mighty good, Job well done.

Point for sure.
Chris

Another thing about the offsets is, the built-in thermometers are famously inaccurate regardless of brand. Invest in a good probe thermometer.
I have noticed that. I am using the thermometer pro t20 I think monitor the IT and ambeint temp

have noticed that. I am using the thermometer pro t20 I think monitor the IT and ambeint temp

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky