Fire in the Hole.....But no Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dons2346

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
Thanks to tallbm and others, I ordered the Auber WS 1500XX which arrived yesterday. I spend a few days standing on my head reading the manual and think I have a pretty good idea how it works. .
So today, I hooked everything up and set temp at 220. Unit came right up and sat right at 220. My Inkbird probes that I had put in different locations inside tells me that the middle rack is the place to be.. I then ran it up to 250 and everything stabilized at 250. Cool Beans.

Now the problem, there s no smoke!. From reading other posts, I assume the only way to get smoke is to use either a tray or tube. Am I on the right track here?

Turn the temp down to a smoke mode.... Then up to cook... You might get some smoke flavor on higher temps for the duration of a longer smoke... Throw some chicken in and play with it...

Should have mentioned that this is a Masterbuilt and it doesn't have a smoke mode.
Just read in another post about using a cast iron skillet directly on the heating element so that might be a solution

Dang...you said fire in the hole, thought you had lit the fuse on something! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

Yes for mailbox mod. You’ll never look back
E22A3761-7BA8-47C8-A3E5-FFF1E28401E5.jpeg

I've been burning dust in ubolt modified tubes inside my MES for years without issue. Fits beautifully in the bottom left corner.

Ok, have you considered the "mailbox mod" as a way to get your smoke for your unit?
The mailbox mod is a thought but for the time being, I am going to give my smoke tube a try. This unit will be staying in AZ when we head back north so this isn't my main smoker.
Fiigured the reason I can't get smoke using the PID is because of the way the heating element is powered. With the Masterbuild controller, it was a straight power on,power off which put full power to the element and not in percentages. Could do that with the Auber but that wouldn't be fun

The mailbox mod is a thought but for the time being, I am going to give my smoke tube a try. This unit will be staying in AZ when we head back north so this isn't my main smoker.
Fiigured the reason I can't get smoke using the PID is because of the way the heating element is powered. With the Masterbuild controller, it was a straight power on,power off which put full power to the element and not in percentages. Could do that with the Auber but that wouldn't be fun
It wouldn't be impressive but your controller when set to P=0 would be the stock on/off controller regardless of the I and D setting if that's something you want for chunks and chips to have the hysteresis of over/under coasting to burn them with the heating element.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky