Fire brick top of smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

darikweitzel

Original poster
Feb 4, 2020
Looking for ideas on how to build the top part of my offset smoker in the firebox. I want it to be firebrick however not sure how to keep it together without it falling down over time. Be nice to have a fire brick slab but I can’t fire one up. I thought about a steel plate or putting rebar through the fire brick to hold it up or even just a concrete slab but I want it to last.

This isn’t mine because mine hasn’t been built yet however it will basically this. This guy has steel lids for a grill top where I am going to enclose it to make it a sealed firebox.

Attachments

• A937ECCB-4F46-427E-AEAB-6C4217D700F5.jpeg
    A937ECCB-4F46-427E-AEAB-6C4217D700F5.jpeg
    29.8 KB · Views: 44
years ago I built my brother something like that, I ended up using a 3/8 steel plate reinforced with angle iron, tried a thinner piece first but it warped quickly. as far as using fire brick I think you would have to use angle iron back to back every width of the brick to bridge the gap then lay the brick on that. maybe some of the pro's will chime though

years ago I built my brother something like that, I ended up using a 3/8 steel plate reinforced with angle iron, tried a thinner piece first but it warped quickly. as far as using fire brick I think you would have to use angle iron back to back every width of the brick to bridge the gap then lay the brick on that. maybe some of the pro's will chime though
Wow that is pretty thick steel. Perhaps the angle iron would be plausible to do. Think I would have to weld them together?

If you feel you need or want fire brick on the top side of the fire box, I would build it as a soft arch. Kind of like a pizza oven. That said, in a small fire box, the fire brick won’t last long on top.

Reactions: darikweitzel
Wow that is pretty thick steel. Perhaps the angle iron would be plausible to do. Think I would have to weld them together?
yeah pretty thick but there are some high temps in there, I just started thinking when I built it and can't believe it was 17 years ago, but luckily I have a friend who was a iron worker and knew a guy with his own fab shop, he did everything for me, including the steel door for the fire box, the top for the smoke chamber and 2 steel doors for the smoker chamber. best part he didn't charge me a dime for nothing. can't tell you what it would of cost. next time i'm down that way i'll take a picture of it.

So you think thick steel will last longer then firebrick? I want something that will last a long time

So you think thick steel will last longer then firebrick? I want something that will last a long time
with out doubt, a good thick Steel plate will out last the rest of the fire box.
source a local Steel supply or a fab shop, see what they have in left over cuts. I would use what they have available in cut pieces. 1\2, 3/4 even 1 inch if they will sell that piece cheap enough.

That can be used as a warming plate, or a cooking surface for skillets as well.

I think I will go for steel then at the thickest I can get for the price. Thank you all for your inputs! I will post many pictures when I start the project. I may run along more issues and will ask for help but til then :)

If you are trying to hold heat, go with at least 1/4" (or heaver ) angle iron around the sides 1 , 1.5 or 2 inch Rock-wool then a thinner plate on top, Just sandwiching the Rock-Wool in between

Gary

if you are going to use angle iron (and I would to prevent warping) just make sure to leave enough room on edges of plate so it will sit flat on your blocks. good luck with your build!

If you are trying to hold heat, go with at least 1/4" (or heaver ) angle iron around the sides 1 , 1.5 or 2 inch Rock-wool then a thinner plate on top, Just sandwiching the Rock-Wool in between

Gary
Trying to get heat out of the fire box to the offset smoke box. Looking for idea to close top of firebox.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky