fire box size.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sly anthony

Original poster
Feb 12, 2014
Antigua & Barbuda
I need help big time. i have exhausted my budget for my 250 gallon build and need materials for my fire box , i have 10 pieces of 18x20 1/4 in steel plates laying around, whats the best way to make the fire box using these without having to do too much cutting and joining?

Hello Sly.  A little more info would help.  Also include pictures and drawings including dimensions.  By conventional I assume you mean not reverse flow.  What will be your heat source, propane or charcoal?  There is a pit calculator that a few members are a whizz at using.  I have never used it but by bumping your post it should come to their attention.  The questions I asked are relevant for their answeres.  If you get no reply please PM me and I will ask them to have a look at your thread.  Good luck.

Danny

This info is from a plate on the tank

Length - 94 inches

water capacity - 250 gal

outside diameter - 30 inches

shell thickness - .199 inches

surface area - 61.5 square feet

i am planning to do two doors and four racks , no counter weights (yet !!!! ) . Hoping to get enough steel plate to do reverse flow if not offset it is . just found some 6 inch and 4 inch dia steel pipe for chimney ( which should i use ?)

Last edited:
Roughly a 30x30x28 firebox size is what i would to aim for. That will put you at about 114%. I always like to run my FB's a little bigger then the calculator calls for.

Sly, evening..... 250 gallon is pretty big for charcoal... FB... 30 x 30 x 24 is about the smallest FB you want to use...
FB/CC opening.... 231 sq. in. for a RF smoker OR a SFB with tuning plates...

Thanks Dave for mentioning that about the charcoal. i forgot to add in my post that with a cooker of this size you will want to burn logs/wood. No way youd be able to do it on charcoal alone i fear. At least it wouldnt be feasable.

right, now i have a problem for sure , gotta find steel for that size box. sorry about the charcoal , in the caribbean we charr the wood until it resembles charcoal, but it is still wood . i will post a pic so you can see what i am talking about , so i will be burning wood actually we just call it coals down here.

Well, 18 x 20, and you got ten? Then go 36" tall 36" wide, and 20 deep, all you can do. Then you still have to find a piece for the door, 36 x 36. The two you have left should be enough for the back, considering you will have the tank opening at the top rear.

i was thinking about 36x36 but i was wondering if the fire box would be too big for the cook chamber and also this height of the box now makes the smoker a little too tall to access from the ground as it will be trailer mounted. im only 5.8 tall

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky