fire-box mods?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dzanielp

Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
Plant City, FL
Hello all, just a quick question about modifying the fire box. I've heard of people drilling holes in the firebox to help keep the heat up. I use a small offset smoker and at times it's difficult to keep the heat 250ish for 6-7 hours. Maybe charcoal and wood ashes are building up and blocking airflow? Without installing an electric fan, what modifications are easiest and/or most effective?

Using lump charcoal is a start, it produces less ash than briquettes. Keeping the fire box lid propped open a bit or opening the ash drawer will get more air flow to the fire. Keeping a fire up and burning is all about good air flow.

Reactions: dzanielp
Pictures of your set up to see where you are starting from would help..... Inside and outside... Cook chamber and Fire Box....

Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky