Finishing summer sausage with saus v ide

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
All of the personal tips and tricks posted in this thread do a good job of explaining why folks like to use the various water bath temps between 145° and 152°. Forum member archeryrob archeryrob has a great article on how and why a water bath finish works for Summer style sausage. Inspired by postings by daveomak daveomak on this subject, He explains how the FSIS tables for bacteria reduction are used, and why you can select various internal temperatures as long as you use the recommended holding times at that temperature.

When you move the sausage from the smoker to the sous-vide do you need to put sausage in a bag or straight in the water?

When you move the sausage from the smoker to the sous-vide do you need to put sausage in a bag or straight in the water?
I put mine strait into the water but some on this forum vac seal and poach it. I'm new to the sous vide machine but have finished a lot of sausage in just hot water. There are people on this forum that are very knowledgeable in this realm and should be along soon.

Last edited:
The first few times I cold smoked bologna and finished with SV I bagged them in zipper bags and used my Party Stacker cooler. After reading that many people skip the bagging, I'll be trying that next time.

I have SV finished a lot of sausage and in most casing types. I have always gone into the water bath naked. I have had just two different runs where water got inside the casing, one was a pork role in fibrous casing and once in beef middles (natural) otherwise every other load has been perfect.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky