finishing sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

phathead69

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2016
TN
picked up five of these today. 20200930_200745.jpg
love these, rub some heat on it with salt pepper, smoke to 120F IT. move to super hot charcoal grill take to Med 130 or so. now i need help. i have taken the drippings from the pan after smoking and added mushrooms and beef broth to make a gravey. looking for something little different, just not sure what different is. any ideas or suggestions.

I have not tried JJ's Smokey aujus but it has rave reveiws. I'm always a fan of just melting butter with some herbs for a finishing sauce

Reactions: D.W.
I recently did a Bordelaise sauce with some lamb that I think would also be awesome with beef. Reduced Cabernet Sauvignon mixed with beef stock and some savory spices. I added in portabellas too. It was luscious.

Reactions: indaswamp
I don't like the taste of alcohol anymore - odd for someone who once looked at a six pack as something to drink on the way home from the liquor joint so I have moved to fruit juices for intricate flavors without the wine or whiskey flavor.

What I'd do in a heartbeat with something like that is try a dark fruit or berry juice. Not a lot, but blueberry, blackberry, and even pomegranate adds a really good flavor to pan sauces once reduced. It's very good on rarer beef. I am that one guy who doesn't measure s#!t so I'm gonna estimate a 4-1 broth to juice ratio. Not enough to make it syrupy sweet, just enough to know it's there.

I add fruit juice to bbq sauce for pork, darker is better. Apple is king - so be different and try dark. You'll get compliments!

how about this....

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/balsamic-glazed-tri-tip.289274/
tried the red wine thing once and i know i screwed it up. while i may not like some things it couldnt taste that bad without help. i may give this a trial run.
Or this

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/tri-tip-with-honey-bourbon-mushrooms.283233/
this sounds good. thanks
Or this.....

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/cherry-smoked-tri-tip-candy.281308/

I call this response the trifecta of tri-tips....lol.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
I would think being preseasoned it wouldn't need any sauce. That said, I vote JJ au jus but admit my favorite beef sauce is sauce diane.

tried the red wine thing once and i know i screwed it up. while i may not like some things it couldnt taste that bad without help. i may give this a trial run.

Yes red wine sauces can be tricky, but this one is pretty simple. Just remember when you are seasoning it to taste do it slowly because a little season will go a long ways with it and do it AFTER simmering. The key is to make sure it is simmered long enough to get all the alcohol out of it (15-20 mins min, 30 is better). Residual alcohol in a red wine sauce is not a good flavor at all!

Yes red wine sauces can be tricky, but this one is pretty simple. Just remember when you are seasoning it to taste do it slowly because a little season will go a long ways with it and do it AFTER simmering. The key is to make sure it is simmered long enough to get all the alcohol out of it (15-20 mins min, 30 is better). Residual alcohol in a red wine sauce is not a good flavor at all!
well i now know why. i know i did not go anywhere long enough. i bet 10 at best. thank you for the tip and recipe. got carpal tunnel surgery tomorrow so i will have two weeks to give some tries.

well i now know why. i know i did not go anywhere long enough. i bet 10 at best. thank you for the tip and recipe. got carpal tunnel surgery tomorrow so i will have two weeks to give some tries.

Good luck on the surgery! Never any fun but hopefully they it will fix it!

By the way... this red wine/balsamic sauce is probably my fav on TT. We do it on the same TT you got all the time with it. It is my daughters absolutely favorite beef dish. Her second is probably rack of lamb with the same sauce.

If you can get fresh herbs for the simmer, they really make it pop! After its simmered use a screen to strain it and then season and thicken it with a little starch slurry if desired. If you simmer it long enough no slurry will really be needed.

Reactions: phathead69
The KEY to any Wine/ Spirit Sauces....Saute or sweat your veg, Shallots,Onions,Garlic, Tomato Paste, then Deglaze with Wine or Spirit of choice(Off Flame!). Simmer this to " AU SEC ", Almost Dry, Syrupy actually. Now add your Broth or Stock and simmer to reduce as desired.
Alcohol can not be Fully cooked out because some of it binds with water. Adding wine to a Sauce, without reducing it, binds more alcohol and requires a LONG simmer and a lot of reduction to cook the Alcohol flavor out. So we minimize the alcohol and it's flavor, by simmering Au Sec Before Broth is added to get the bulk out...JJ

BTW: I make Sliced Pork Tenderloin with Diane Sauce quite frequently. A family favorite.

if a feller reads enough between chef jimmi and civil he might just learn how to cook. thanks

I recently did a Bordelaise sauce with some lamb that I think would also be awesome with beef. Reduced Cabernet Sauvignon mixed with beef stock and some savory spices. I added in portabellas too. It was luscious.
i like they way that sounds. is the sauvignon a dry wine?

I would think being preseasoned it wouldn't need any sauce. That said, I vote JJ au jus but admit my favorite beef sauce is sauce diane.
it is awsome served staight off the grill and lots of times that is how we eat it with side of grilled asparagus. just looking to live a little on the wild side

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky