1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Finished smell of brisket

Discussion in 'Beef' started by Alan562, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Alan562

Alan562 Newbie

I smoked a brisket and it turned out great! Everything was good. Except after it sat for awhile it had a strong smell that reminded me of dried dog food? Has anyone had a similar experience or can relate? If not I wonder what I did wrong.
    I smoked in an electric pellet vertical smoker for about 16 hours. At 160 I placed it into a alum pan and added apple juice and finished it to 195. Then I wrapped it in alum foil and let it rest in a cooler for 3 1/2 hours.

Attached Files:

2. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Epic Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That's an interesting description!
    Is your choice of Dry Dog Food one of the new, Boutique Artisan Made, All Natural, Non-GMO, Organic, Made with 100% Real Smoked Brisket types? Other than that I see no way you got a Dog Food Smell from your Brisket.
    The only thing I can think of is most of us go Nose Blind from working around and smelling Smoke for hours at a time. Maybe your reduced sense of smell told your Brain...Dog Food...JJ

3. Alan562

Alan562 Newbie

Possible. Thanks for your insight

4. Alan562

Alan562 Newbie

Possible. Thank you for your insight.

5. weedeater

weedeater Smoking Fanatic ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Don’t know about the smell but it looks good in the pic. How did it taste?

Weedeater

6. Finished product looks great. Sliced pics?

7. Alan562

Alan562 Newbie

It’s was awesome!

Attached Files:

8. Alan562

Alan562 Newbie