Finished a batch of Pepperoni yesterday

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

LoydB

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 31, 2022
I made six pounds of pepperoni using the 2 Guys recipe. It tastes fantastic.

Fermentation from Flavor of Italy. Starting PH 5.73, final PH (after 14 hours) 4.75, fermentation temp 85 degrees F.

Cold smoked for 3 hours, then into the cave where it dried to 20% loss over six days, then another ten hours of hickory hot smoke ramping from 110 F to 180 F until internal 150 F.

Finished at right around 32% weight loss total.

Did I mention it's delicious? It is. This will be made again.

1670511410661.png
1670511471152.png
1670511489993.png
1670511530996.png
1670511424815.png

LoydB LoydB great writeup and pics, thanks!
Wondering on the 2nd smoke, was that just to speed drying process? And the 6 days drying to develop flavor? Just wondering your thought process on the smoke/dry/smoke process.

My #1 eaten product is definitely pepperoni, thats what got me into drying chamber and salami to start, so your post is exciting! I wasn't super happy with the US fast style I made, the cooked texture vs. the commercial Hormel pepperoni orange fatty texture I like. So I love to hear about your success!

Looks real good. I have to learn me how to do this kinda thing - there was an Italian deli where I grew up and those guys made their own sopresatta and dry salami and I sure miss the stuff.

Nice write up LoydB... what was the final weight loss after the second smoke?

I too like 2 guys and a cooler pepperoni recipe. But I don't smoke it, just let it dry to 35%.

Looks most excellent Loyd

Point for sure
Chris

OP- interested to understand if the drying and then hot smoking to 150*F is a personal preference of if there is something else behind drying before final temperature

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky