Finish on tuning plates?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

txsully

Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Cedar Park, Texas
So I'm going to place some tuning plates in the cooking chamber of my NB offset.  I have available to me for free some 5 inch wide 1/4" thick plate material, but it has a prime coat on it, not raw steel.  In an effort to not introduce any chemicals into the cooking chamber environment when heated, I am wondering if I should just spray the plates with a paint that is made for high temperatures, like you might actually spray the smoker body with?   Maybe I need to strip the primer?

Thanks,

The metal I used to make a heat sink for my smoker was painted. To remove the paint I put it in my gas grill on high for about a half an hour, worked great.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky