Finding wood for smoking in Mass.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nkpal624

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 7, 2018
Boston, MA
Hey everyone,

For my smokes over the summer I have been buying seasoned wood chunks from Lowe's but those small bags can get expensive when you have to buy them for every smoke. Does anyone know where I can get a 1/4 cord or 1/2 cord of good wood for smoking in eastern Mass. or southern New Hampshire?

Unfortunately I have had to use Lowes and Bass Pro Shop for my wood also. I have resorted to using a little more charcoal and not all wood for my smoke. You need to be careful when you buy large quantities because they may put some pine in to get a full load. That's why I have been using Amazon, Lowes and Bass Pro - you know what you are getting. Sorry, not much help but I figured I would throw out some thoughts.

I found my source guy on Craigs List. He supplies a lot of restaurants in the area so I feel I can trust him to give me to wood choices I want

Does anyone you know know any tree cutters, sometimes they are happy to get rid of wood, you might have to pick it up at the job site, not sure if you live in a city with few trees though.

If your using that char-griller duo in your avatar then you can easily use charcoal or lump and mix in just a few chunks of wood. I did that for a few years. Especially if wood isn't readily available in your area. Split dried hardwood is probably going to be expensive to come by unless you live in the boonies. I believe a cord of seasoned firewood around my area is about 200.00 give or take. Unseasoned is less, but then you have to wait 6 months to a year for it to dry out. When I need wood which isn't very often I take an already felled tree and cut up what I need. You'll also need to know your wood as many will try to slip in some pine or other softwood to save money.

Chris

Thanks for the replies everyone. Theres some great info in here. Using charcoal with some hardwood chunks for the right smoke is probably my best bet around here. I did find that there are a couple of local tree cutting companies around that all firewood but I'd have to do some waiting for the wood to be ready to use.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky