Finally made my own rub,,,,

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

terry colwell

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
Dexter Mo.
This is the second round with this rub, first time the wife jumped in and help and just started throwing things in and did my measurements in..lol.. So I tried again and kept a list going,, and here it is....

1 Tbs Cayenne Pepper

1Tbs Smoked Paprika

1Tbs Regular Paprika

1Tbs Chili Powder

1Tbs Mustard Powder

1Tbs Black Pepper

1Tbs Celery salt

1Tbs Garlic Salt

2Tbs Garlic Powder

2Tbs Sea Salt

2Tbs Meat Tenderizer

3Tbs Onion Powder

1/4 Cup Turbinado Sugar

1/4 Cup Packed Brown  Sugar

This rub is really good on Pork, And fatties....  Enjoy

Terry , Welcome and glad to meet ya... You have a good looking rub started, and is a good foundation for  future Tweeking .

I'm not saying do this, but offering hints to point you to a variety of Spices you may want to experiment with, a lot of people don't think of these as "RUB" ingredients , however they add a mystery to the blend:

Cinnamon is a good direction when going toward a Jerk taste...

ground Clove adds a wonderful sweetness to Mexican Fare...

Nutmeg is another Jerk Seasoning to try...

Allspice is multi-Ethnic in that it is great in Middle East cooking and again , Jerk , however it also tweeks some African and Southern dishes...

I could go on and on , but the message is  - play with flavors YOU like and see what you come up with...

Have fun and...

Agreed, clove, mace, nutmeg, cumin, cinnamon, curry powder....The list goes on and on. The thing about rubs is that 95% of them taste exactly the same before they go in the smoker, 99.999% taste exactly the same coming out. This isn't an insult to your basic rub in any way, just something I learned the hard way. The fun part is playing with the ingredients to get different flavor profiles AFTER it's spent 4-12 hours in the smoker. I try to think in terms of a musical scale. The more earthy flavors represent the bass and the brighter flavors represent the high notes. Sweetness and heat represent the key. Any good melody will be balanced, and whether it's balanced on the higher notes or the lower notes gives it's flavor profile. For example, Vivaldi's Spring symphony might be a tangy, bright rub with lots of citrus, perfect for pairing with a mild fruit wood. Beethoven's 5th might have a lot of clove, curry and background heat masked by an up front cinnamon sweet flavor, good with mesquite or hickory. The one ingredient a lot of people tend to overlook is the smoke itself. If you think about it as an ingredient in your rub, then consider how it'll play off the other ingredients, you can have some serious fun tweaking your rubs. One other thing to remember is that sugars REALLY change in the presence of heat and smoke, and they change to varying degrees depending on the type used.

I hope this doesn't sound completely off the wall.

Reactions: patsy yates
Clove and Nutmeg are real strong to me, they seem to always over power the other flavors. I have to be careful because the wife doesnt like to try new things all the time. i could try to add the Cinnamon seing how thats her favorite one.

And Thanks OldSchool, I know your offering advice and not telling me what to do. I know lots of ppl take advice the wrong way but if its something I dont agree with , or like,, I just ignore it....lol
beercheer.gif

Not to be critical at all... and I'm kinda surprised no one else mentioned it... but you have meat tenderizer in it. Does that really help the flavor? I didn't think this was a good flavoring at all... I am really a newby so set me straight.

I am eager to try your recipe because I like the rubs sweet rather than spicy (just about everything else I like spicy ... oh... except my cereal... I like that sweet too).

We put the MT in for the meat, not really for the flavor. I since have taken this out and have not noticed a difference . Just like anything else, its all trail and errors.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky