Finally hit chicken perfection

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JCAP

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 12, 2019
Allentown, PA
Hey all,
Hope Quarantine Cooking is going well. And more importantly that everyone is staying healthy and sane.

I’ve been after perfect chicken for a little while. I almost bought a vortex a few weeks ago. But I thought why not use the PBC to my advantage. I’ve done a few good cooks but nothing ‘wow’ yet. Until today.

I took 10 chicken drumsticks and prepped them. Three were injected with Franks buffalo sauce and given a generous rub of Killer Hogs Hot BBQ (this is awesome stuff). Four were rubbed with Killer Hogs AP and three were rubbed with Stubbs chicken.

Fired up the PBC and tossed on some cherry wood and away we went. The major thing I did differently this time was NOT THINKING about anything. I just walked away for 30 minutes, flipped them, and walked away for another 25-30. They hit 170-180 in that time. I have to do that more often since I’m think too much usually. We actually hung out in the front yard for the hour and the smells moving though the air were heavenly.

Anyhow, I had a sample of the injected drumsticks. Crispy skin, juicy, spicy, and full of flavor. This is for sure my go to method from now on.

DDCC6FFF-3239-4EAF-854E-8BC5D642ACA5.jpeg 46EF705F-B684-45AC-B76F-0816DD32F06E.jpeg 60401419-7E9C-45FC-9538-817652AE2D7D.jpeg 76B0D6CB-703D-45E5-B9A4-4A02FF0BABD6.jpeg

Thanks. No idea actually. I don’t use a probe in the PBC. It usually settles in between 280-315 but could have been higher

Some fine lookin' bird legs there JCAP, nice piece of work! I was close to copping a vortex my self and then opted for the Slow-n-Sear instead. It kind of hit me that there's nothing I cook on the kettle that requires more heat than just the coals on the bottom will provide, tho often I'd like to use less heat. RAY

Some fine lookin' bird legs there JCAP, nice piece of work! I was close to copping a vortex my self and then opted for the Slow-n-Sear instead. It kind of hit me that there's nothing I cook on the kettle that requires more heat than just the coals on the bottom will provide, tho often I'd like to use less heat. RAY

Thanks Ray. The vortex looks like a lot of fun. But I’m with you. The more I look at these things the slow n sear looks more versatile. How do you like it?

I've injected and brined chicken with a lot things, but never thought about using Buffalo sauce. I'll be trying that. :emoji_thumbsup:

I do it with wings in the oven sometimes too. Works well!

Those look really good!! Patience is a difficult thing to learn. It was for me anyway. glad you finally nailed it.

Robert

Reactions: JCAP
Those look great!! I’ve used hot sauce on chicken often, silly me I’ve never thought about injecting it. I will now , thanks!

Reactions: JCAP
Thanks for the likes everyone. Much appreciated!

Those look really good!! Patience is a difficult thing to learn. It was for me anyway. glad you finally nailed it.

Robert

Patience has been my most difficult thing to learn in this smoking addiction. But I think worth it....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky