Finally Got My Butt On The Rec Tec (Lotsa Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
So....I needed to make sausage last weekend and had no pork butt to make it with. Tracy headed into town early Saturday morning with a planned stop at Costco. I asked her to pick up some pork butt so I could get the Italian sausage done that we were out of. She came home with a double pack weighing 16.4#. I only needed 10# for the sausage and made the mistake of asking her if she wanted me to smoke the remaining 6.4# for pulled pork. Being that PP is one of her absolute favorite BBQ items I make, I got "that look" once again reaffirming the fact that I'm an imbecile for even asking.

Here it is Saturday seasoned while the pork for the sausage is chilling in the freezer
027.jpg

Onto the Rec Tec fairly early Sunday morning. About an hour and a half in
001.jpg

About 4 hours in and looking real good
002.jpg

Made some fresh pico ala Joe ( xray xray ) This has become a staple around here!! We eat more pico than should be allowed by law
003.jpg

Getting dark and getting close to done. Blurry pic....sorry
004.jpg

All done
005.jpg

At this point I'm hungry so pulled enough for some tacos. The rest can wait....Look how juicy this is, OMG!!
006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

Start building tacos. Simple and basic. Start with pork and queso fresco
009.jpg

Add pico, and I'm done. Ready to eat
010.jpg

Here is the rest of the pork shredded after I finished eating
012.jpg

Alrighty then....I'm really starting to love this Rec Tec. No doubt this was the most flavorful, moist, tender, and juicy pork I've ever cooked. The tacos were simple and basic but they didn't need anything else. Absolute perfection as they were. If you look at the pics of the pork you'll see an amazing smoke ring and the bark on this was simply off the charts!! To me, that crunchy bark is what makes pulled pork. The meat is good but the bark it what I'm all about. All the red you see mixed in is the smoke ring, and there's a lot of it!! This was dinner Sunday but Tracy thought we needed to do pulled pork Jala-Q sammies for dinner Monday. I may do another post with them but that remains to be seen. The sammies were excellent also so if anybody wants to see them, just say so and I'll either put them in this thread or do a separate post.

Got a bit in the freezer for a rainy day,
Robert

nice, that bark looks great. Pork butt was the first thing I cooked on the rectec700. The outside edges were fought over.

Looks great! Nice simple tacos are whats best. Yours look really good. That Rec Tec is going to serve you well i think! Congrats on the carousel ride!

Nice work! You will now realize that properly created pulled pork is pure happiness all by its lonesome....just add a little color with some garnish and it makes magical happiness!

I just have to say this though........You know that smoker looks like it NEEDs to have a little more break-in to be considered a tested tool....it looks like its never cooked anything.......LOL

Great job Robert! Can't wait to do a butt or two on my Rec Tec, after the ribs and chicken I have done I am betting that the PP will be awesome.

LIKE!

I only have one problem, I have 15 vac packs in the freezer from my cooks this summer still to eat. :emoji_scream:

John

shorted another keyboard....looks delish! i have a few lbs of PP in the freezer - I see tacos in the near future! thanks for the post! loveit!

Looks good. I been married 33 years. I don't even ask! If I have at least 5 pounds of Butt left over from Sausage, it gets smoked and Pulled or goes in Tomato Sauce for Pork Gravy. Either way I got a Happy Wife!...JJ

Looks awesome and love the use in tacos. We love pico de gallo here as well.

We have been doing all sorts of tacos with all sorts of meat for a long time. It's fun to mix things up and make a simple taco really good

Awesome cook- the PP looks amazing.

Thank you!! It was certainly my best to date, and that date goes back a few years

looks great. you can see how juicy it was

Yes sir, I was very happy with the juiciness of this one. No dry meat at all

Looks great! Nice simple tacos are whats best. Yours look really good. That Rec Tec is going to serve you well i think! Congrats on the carousel ride!

Thank you for basically everything you said. To be very honest, I'm amazed this one made the carousel but I am honored to be amongst such esteemed company...and yes, the Rec Tec and I are getting along very well these days.

Robert

Real nice looking tacos.

Thank you. Simple and basic but the pico really added to the presentation
Like!
Enough said.

Appreciate it Chile!!

Nice tacos, Robert. Looks awesome. Bet they were good.

Enjoy the carousel ride! :emoji_wink:

Thank you, and yes it's a beautiful thing to see a featured thread. I've been pretty blessed recently and am tremendously grateful for it.

Nice work! You will now realize that properly created pulled pork is pure happiness all by its lonesome....just add a little color with some garnish and it makes magical happiness!

I just have to say this though........You know that smoker looks like it NEEDs to have a little more break-in to be considered a tested tool....it looks like its never cooked anything.......LOL

Well...let's put that break-in into perspective. When I got the grill I was told that the 5 bags of pellets I got (200#) would last me a year. I've had the grill just over a month and am half way through my third bag. Believe me, I'm working on it as fast as I can :emoji_laughing: Appreciate the kind words!!

Wonderign what's next,
Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky