FINALLY found my "old school" cheeseburger!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I love a flat top burger.
I'm also partial to a seared burger on the Jumbo Joe with a pile of lump charcoal. No need for a vortex or CI when using lump that is a few inches under the cooking grate.

How important is having one of those cast iron trowels for smashing, to make them right? I don't have one, but did see them at CAL Ranch...

Glad I could hep refresh your memory haha :D
I dug it out of the closet, gave it a rinse, heated it up on the stove and gave it a wipe with some Crisco - and that thing is perfect!!! I had forgotten all about it and all about how much time I spent seasoning it.

I can't wait to get a fire going in the fire pit and put it on top of the grate and cook a few burgers on it :emoji_thumbsup:

I owe ya for reminding me about it. 😎

Last edited:
I used a blazing hot cast iron skillet and smashed the meat down with a 5" Dexter-Russell all-purpose turner.

It worked for me!

OK... Now ya got me wanting to try them... What are we smashing them with ?? And how thin do we smash them.

img25o.jpg

I use the lodge 8" press. Smash them to around 3/8" with the edges being thinner so it gets crunchy.
Edit: mine is 6 1/4" diameter.

Last edited:
Reactions: tallbm
I dug it out of the closet, gave it a rinse, heated it up on the stove and gave it a wipe with some Crisco - and that thing is perfect!!! I had forgotten all about it and all about how much time I spent seasoning it.

I can't wait to get a fire going in the fire pit and put it on top of the grate and cook a few burgers on it :emoji_thumbsup:

I owe ya for reminding me about it. 😎
Hahaha sounds like you are well on your way to victory! Can't wait to see the burgers when they get made :D

Reactions: Retired Spook
OK, I'm thinking if I use my small Vortex in my Smokey Joe, it'll get my round CI griddle hot enough?

My biggest concern doing this on the SJ is the legs...not as sturdy as I'd like if exerting the pressure/movement while smashing the meat.
The Vortex should definitely get the cast iron griddle hot enough, and the Joe's legs should hold up just fine. As long as they aren't previously damaged. Just put it in the center and don't whack the burger down. Use even pressure.

Chris

Reactions: SherryT
Dangit! Here it is 8am and I'm at work and craving a burger! Y'all gonna make me pull out the CI and have a burger night with the bottomless pit (my son)!
And there is nothing like a burger from a mom and pop restaurant.
Jim

Happy you found your burger. You guys season the balls right? I make a basic patty and season it well in advance. Smash it further/thinner on the heat. Takes the crust to another level. SP and a little og.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky