Finally Found Fresh Belly

Discussion in 'Pork' started by nepas, May 14, 2015.

1. nepas

nepas Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Stopped by the store ways down and found fresh belly @$3.29lb. This one was just shy of 10lbs. I cut in half skinned it, vac bag and freezer. When i get back from Calif half will be bacon and half Nduja.

2. Awesome, I've been having trouble finding this myself.  I found a giant case of skinned and frozen ones at restaurant depot, for less than $1.50/lb, but I didn't need that much.  Care to post your nduja recipe?  

3. nepas

nepas Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

The RD by me does not sell fresh belly, only smoked or i would buy a case.

The nduja recipe i cant post because or CW laws. Just google and you will find lots of em.

4. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Rick 3.29 is not bad price. I wish I kept my business account with RD, seeing these prices I miss it. 

5. nepas

My friend has a food business, he gave me one of his RD cards to use. Good guy.

6. kihler

kihler Smoke Blower

You can find pork belly at most Asian stores that have a meat section. I also leave the skin on when I cure and smoke pork belly. I remove the skin after smoking and before cutting. I use the smoked pork belly skin for soap broths. They add a lot to ham soups.

7. nepas

I dont mess with the Asian or spanish stores around here because the belly is small between 1-2 lbs chunks

8. kihler

kihler Smoke Blower

Where do you live. In the Phoenix they are about 4 - 5 pounds each. It looks like they are a half belly. I find that a good size to work with. 

9. welshrarebit

welshrarebit Master of the Pit

My local Costco just started stocking them for $1.99!!!

10. The Asian markets by me,korean, that I have checked, cut the belly up. I think I have to drive a bit to the Chinese market or call up a butcher. I want it for porchetta, so I need the skin.

11. nepas

Right now in S, Fla. Dont know bout y'all but when i walk into a meat market and it stinks i turn round and walk out. The 50 mile drive to get this belly from a clean butcher was well worth it.

Dont have room for a case from Publix mkt, The RD i go to wont carry fresh belly. Guess the uppidy hoity toity WPB, Miami folks dont want to mess smoking their own belly.

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  12. I didn't even check mine when I was in there last (though mine two years ago started carrying whole lambs, and still do)... Are they fresh or frozen? I hope mine carries it because then I would try my hand at bacon. but at the prices I've seen near me, I can get some pretty darn good locally smoked commercial bacon for cheaper, with no fuss from me. But if I can at least break even, I like doing things myself.

13. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Good looking Side .

14. nabo4u

nabo4u Fire Starter

Hey nepas I'm in Miami and I haven't had any problems getting the butchers at Publix and Winn Dixie to cut me a piece of belly off of the slab. I've gotten pieces from 2.5 to 7 lbs. All I did was ask.