Finally found a Tri-tip!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kawboy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 20, 2015
Central Minnesota
I've lived in central MN for 53 years, found my first Tri-tip over the weekend! Never ate one before, let alone made one. Plan on searing it and then bringing it to 125-130 ish. Probably just SPOG. Sound about right? Picked up a little Flatiron as well. Same method? Wife could believe how excited I was to find one.

Sounds awesome, we get ours from WildForkFoods.com. They are cheaper than our local grocery & the quality is much better. And as said above^^^, the grain direction is really important when slicing. Just google “slicing tri-tip the correct way” and a bunch of videos will come up. Good luck!!
Al

I've lived in central MN for 53 years, found my first Tri-tip over the weekend! Never ate one before, let alone made one. Plan on searing it and then bringing it to 125-130 ish. Probably just SPOG. Sound about right? Picked up a little Flatiron as well. Same method? Wife could believe how excited I was to find one.
not trying to get all up in your Kool-Aid but i would 180 your plan. smoke first then sear. I'd also get your cooker temp low around 200-225 as they heat up quick that way you get more smoke. season and refrigerate put on grill cold. congrats on the find. In the end a Man has to do what is best for him and his, that is just my take away from a tri tip or two I've seen

Great Score! Congrats! Cracked Pepper and Salt or SPOG is the right call! I tried using beef tallow as a binder for my rub this weekend and it worked out awesome, but I used a reverse sear, very juicy and delicious. My favorite has always been on a kettle set up for indirect heat, comes out amazing!
1647280190474.png

1647280211500.png

Great score!! Tri tips are readily available around here but I find it really strange how so many cuts are only available on a regional basis. You're gonna love that thing.

not trying to get all up in your Kool-Aid but i would 180 your plan. smoke first then sear. I'd also get your cooker temp low around 200-225 as they heat up quick that way you get more smoke. season and refrigerate put on grill cold.

This info is spot on accurate. Follow what flatbroke flatbroke has said, pay attention to your IT, and you will create a masterpiece.

Robert

Congrats on the TT find! They are one of my fams favorite cuts!

You have some great advice above on preferred cooking methods and slicing! Very good info!

May I just suggest, due to your obvious excitement to have found a TT! After it is done to your IT of liking, don’t forget to rest it about 15 minutes or so! Just my 2 cents!

Reactions: kawboy and bauchjw
Time to put the recent culinary training to a good test.
What's your objective for the cook?
I regularly see marinated tri-tip at Sam's. Always pass when I find strip loin (often prime) for about the same price.

Reactions: kawboy
Your gonna love that tri-tip!!

Picked up a little Flatiron as well. Same method?
I treat the flat iron just the same as a skirt steak or a flank... Hot and fast and dont over do it by any means. Slice thin accross the grain... I use this cut often for steak tacos... Just like the flank it takes well to a marinade.

If by chance you have some TT leftover, if you have a sous vide… reheat to 135ish* , slice thin and make some Cheesesteaks! They are tasty with TT!

If no sous vide, you can always slice the TT thin when cold and dip it in some au jus quick like and you’d be fine as well!

Either way, toast up some nice hoagie type bread… get your other fixings and you’d have some good eats! Again, just my 2 cents.

Reactions: kawboy and Sowsage
Tri-Tip supposedly originated in Santa Maria, Ca. Traditional prep calls for a rub with: 2 TBS granulated garlic, 1TBS sal & 1 tsp pepper. Should be grilled to med-rare. You can sear then go indirect or reverse but, if smoking do that first with IT reaching 120-123º, then let it rest off heat for 5-7 min before placing on a hot grill to sear. FYI, when on the grill watch for flare ups due to fat content.

Flat Iron: we use salt, pepper and garlic. Let it rest on counter for at least 45 minutes then grill. 3 min both sides on very hot sear grates then to finish out the markings on only the serving side, 2-3 mins on non-searing lower heat grate. Usually we lightly baste each side with a small amount of italian dressing after each of the first 2 turns. Total time approx 8-9 min usually delivers a perfect med-rare but it depends on size. Smaller and thinner ones need LESS TIME. They are very easy to overcook. When I got one of those I then to skip or reduce the last 2-3 min flip. The flavor starts to dwain beyond med-rare and it becomes tougher to chew. Let it sit at least 10 min before slicing.

Last edited:
Great Score! Congrats! Cracked Pepper and Salt or SPOG is the right call! I tried using beef tallow as a binder for my rub this weekend and it worked out awesome, but I used a reverse sear, very juicy and delicious. My favorite has always been on a kettle set up for indirect heat, comes out amazing!
View attachment 528963
View attachment 528964
Now if I can only find a tri-tip here....

• Haha
Reactions: kawboy and bauchjw
Great find! If they are not readily available in your area, look at some online sellers. I pretty CPB has them…haven’t looked super recently, but they always did before all h**l broke loose in the retail world.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky