• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

finally did a whole chicken!

thebarbequeen

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 22, 2010
Brined about 5-6 hours, 4.5# bird.  Had some CSR's and brined them just the same as the bird.

brine has maple syrup, dijon, CBP, oregano, cloves, rosemary, old bay,smashed fresh garlic and ginger, sparkling cider and water.

light coat of olive oil, paprika and pepper for the bird, regular rub for the CSRs

in they go with my first pastrami and some brats, set at 250.

I think she came out real pretty! 

thanks for looking.

richoso1

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 21, 2007
Congrats on the whole bird, everything else looks just as good. That is one heck of a brine you had going on. Thanks for sharing the good times. It's all good my friend.

smokinstevo27

Master of the Pit
Joined Aug 17, 2010
That looks awsome and I love the brine. That sounds very flavorful. Where's the beer haha? Hail to the Queen. 

raptor700

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined May 20, 2010
Great job on the bird Barbe, The color looks awesome! I bet it was very juicy too...

jirodriguez

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 5, 2009
Nice job Barbe!

We will call that one "Barbe's S&M Chicken!" LOL

If you get a chance I highly recomend Tip's Slaughter House brine by Travis.... I used it for the first time ever this last Thanksgiving, it was really really good!

alelover

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 9, 2010
Did it taste as good as it looks? The brine recipe sounds delish.

rdknb

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 23, 2010
that chicken looks great, well done

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
All looks great Barbequeen, Except the Brats !

I think the cameraman/woman ate them before the pics.

Thanks for the views,

Bear

squirrel

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined May 7, 2010
Sing with me now - He's a supa freak, supa freak, he's supa freaky! LOL! Love me some Johnny!

Baby girl that is some fine bird ya got there! Congrats on that! You did it up right. Don't you just love it when a chicken turns out so yum? Great job! 

Nice job Barbe!

If you get a chance I highly recomend Tip's Slaughter House brine by Travis.... I used it for the first time ever this last Thanksgiving, it was really really good!

thebarbequeen

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 22, 2010
Nice job Barbe!

I confess, I am into birdie bondage.  Julia Child and Me, we love our string.   It was VERY moist.  Thanks everybody!

mole177

Fire Starter
Joined Nov 28, 2010
Nice looking bird!

Did you bother injecting? Looks like no, but I guess you dont need one with that super brine...

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
What happened to the brats?

thebarbequeen

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 22, 2010
Nice looking bird!

Did you bother injecting? Looks like no, but I guess you dont need one with that super brine...
    Thanks!  I've actually never tried injecting, the brines work great for my taste. It was nice and moist, with just a bit of sweetness from the syrup. I LOVE maple syrup!

Well, they were tucked in between the CSR's.  One made a very brief appearance next to my pastrami, but after that???   Good thing I'm getting a grinder for Xmas and can learn how to make my own!  

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Well, they were tucked in between the CSR's.  One made a very brief appearance next to my pastrami, but after that???   Good thing I'm getting a grinder for Xmas and can learn how to make my own!  

OK--I just couldn't find them.

I can usually spot a brat.

I just spotted one a few minutes ago, climbing our Christmas tree!

I yelled at him, and he just meowed at me!!! 

Thanks,

Bear

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.