1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Finally! Cool enough to smoke cheese!

Discussion in 'Smoked Cheese' started by Meat Man Matt, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Meat Man Matt

Meat Man Matt Fire Starter

Hi all. I have been wanting to try some cheese for a while now, and today has finally been one of those rare days that is overcast and cooler. I haven't done cheese yet so I decided to start somewhat small. I ran to the store after work for some papperjack and cheddar, along with a pack of mozz sticks. Just got it all in there with my AMZNTS (first go round with this doo-hickey as well). Using BBQrs Delight hickory and pecan pellets. Been on for about 15 minutes now, wish me luck! IMG_20180821_164408693.jpg IMG_20180821_170435168.jpg IMG_20180821_172408205.jpg IMG_20180821_172433613.jpg
    Oh yeah, and a paper plate with about 1/2" deep uniodized coarse sea salt on top too!

2. Man looking good my cheese would melt on the plate to the smoker right now .good luck watching

3. flatbroke

flatbroke Smoking Fanatic ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Interesting. Do you add temp or just smoke? How long does it need to be smoked for

4. Meat Man Matt

No added temp. It's sitting at about 75 right now, not melting, so we're good there. I'm not sure how long to smoke, I just peeked at about 1:20 in and it doesn't seem to be taking on a whole lot of coloration yet. I didn't check the smoker tube, so I'll let it got about another hour and check again. Still smoking strong thoigh

5. Meat Man Matt

IMG_20180821_192229166.jpg

6. Meat Man Matt

Ok. 3 1/2 hrs smoke, wrapped in saran, placed in ziplocks, and into the fridge for the next 1 1/2 to 2 weeks. Here is how the cheese looked before wrapping.
    Forgot to take a pic of the salt. It had a slight yellow to it on the top, but the bottom was still pretty white. Threw it all in a jar anyway, hopefully it all has some good flavor when we use it.
    IMG_20180821_210015160.jpg

gmc2003 and SmokinAl like this.
  7. That looks promising to me. Good luck.

George

8. SmokinAl

SmokinAl Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Your cheese looks perfect, it really took on a nice color!
    Great work!
    It won't be cool enough for cheese smoking down here until Dec., Jan.
    Al

9. dan the mano

dan the mano Smoke Blower

whats the idea of the salt here , just asking ?thanks

10. gmc2003

gmc2003 Master of the Pit

Good looking cheese, still way to hot around our house. Maybe in another month.

Point for sure.

Chris

11. Meat Man Matt

Dan the mano- I plan to use the salt as a tablesalt for anything that I feel could use a little smoke flavor... So basically everything!

Thanks for the compliments everyone! I really hope it turns out well. If it does, I'll probably gather up a bunch of cheeses and load the ol smoker full next time.

12. thenning

thenning Newbie

13. thenning

thenning Newbie

Having used my Masterbuilt wood smoker in the late winter to smoke cheese while it was still cold, I haven't had time since to do any more. Now that it's the dog days of August, it's too hot! Staring at the unused mini fridge in our basement I've set out to see what I can do. For now I'll use a smoke generator in the bottom, but I can always use an outside source. An added benefit is the racks can come out and I can use rods for sausage. Cheese this Thursday. Will post results. 20180829_072012.jpg 20180829_072012.jpg

Attached Files:

14. thenning

thenning Newbie

BTW, yours looks great, just still too hot here in the midwest to do traditional cheese smoking without major pounds of ice!