Finally built an offset smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mitch lane

Original poster
Aug 24, 2014
My first offset smoker build. Went for the reverse flow design. All materials were metal scraps found around old logging camp aside from some angle iron and plate. Legs from old sprocket, not sure what it was off but it was much heavier than anything I wrench on. Couple old expired propane tanks, firebox could’ve been larger but that’s what I had, seems to cook 250-350 steady across the cook chamber. Exhaust is a bit small it was an old driveshaft that I cut the ends off. Heat deflector plate sloped to allow fat to drain down to angle iron trough that drains out tube on left side. The heat deflector plate is also removable so you can build fire in main chamber for doing steaks grilling over direct heat. Haven’t had a chance to try a direct fire yet. Could’ve used better air control but the firebox door is stiff so I just use that. Also found it works well to stick a piece of kindling in the cc door.
520B970A-67E4-4887-A1FC-E7110583D73F.jpeg

36C28050-1106-4F0A-B9C2-7596355434E5.jpeg

handle is a rock core sample. Was a bunch of old crates full of them behind the shop.

Looks pretty neat.
I have zero experience with offset, but is seems like the exhaust is always on the opposite side of the firebox. Seems to me the smoke would exit immediately and not cross the CC. I may completely out of bounds.

second cook. More ribs and some leftover chicken bites from previous nights dinner

C338042B-DA0C-4ACF-83E4-D79992FAD7E0.jpeg

Looks pretty neat.
I have zero experience with offset, but is seems like the exhaust is always on the opposite side of the firebox. Seems to me the smoke would exit immediately and not cross the CC. I may completely out of bounds.
There is a plate under the cook racks that makes the heat/smoke/air travel underneath to the side opposite of the firebox then above/across the racks and out the exhaust. Seems to work well providing consistent temps across the cook grates.

Reactions: yankee2bbq
went to town for the company camp out and the boss got some fine tuning done. Wish I took more pictures but cooked a couple briskets on it.

0427163E-3280-4C95-89C7-BDB0A296D745.jpeg

went to town for the company camp out and the boss got some fine tuning done. Wish I took more pictures but cooked a couple briskets on it.

View attachment 476652
Nice work! It has a great look and seems to have plenty of room for whatever you want to smoke. That’s the kind of work that lasts...hope it gives you many years of great experiences.

Beautiful piece of work Mitch, big Like! The counter weight on the lid and paint job really dressed it out nice. RAY

There is a plate under the cook racks that makes the heat/smoke/air travel underneath to the side opposite of the firebox then above/across the racks and out the exhaust. Seems to work well providing consistent temps across the cook grates.
There is a reason I stay out of that lane :emoji_laughing:
That thing looks awesome, great work!

Looks great! Nice use of leftover parts for sure. Also gotta compliment ya on your hat!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky