Finally, a nice day for spin...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SecondHandSmoker

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 30, 2018
SE Arizona
Another nice day down here after the past couple of days were cold and windy. Certainly, nowhere as brutal as back East and down South. I feel for you guys!
So, it was a good day to spin a pork loin on the kettle.
Sorry about this post being heavy with pics.

The stuffing:
1/2 cup diced white onion, one 8 oz package baby bella mushrooms (sliced), approximately 6 oz fresh spinach, one 4 oz can of crab meat (drained), and 2/3 cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese. Note: The beer is for drinking and not for the stuffing.
20220206_100236.jpg

Start by melting 1/2 stick salted butter and add 1 Tbs of EVOO in a skillet.
20220206_100505.jpg

Add in the onion and saute for 3 to 5 minutes until the onion is tender but not browned.
Then add the sliced mushrooms and saute for another 5 to 6 minutes or until they begin to cook down.
20220206_101117.jpg

Add in the fresh spinach and saute until wilted.
20220206_101815.jpg

Next add in the drained crab meat. I would have prefered fresh over canned, but canned was what was available.
20220206_102033.jpg

Next add in 1 Tbs minced garlic, I cheated by using the jarred stuff, and add in the 2/3 cups grated parmesan.
Saute until the cheese melts and blends in. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and let the stuffing cool.
20220206_102138.jpg

While the stuffing is cooling down, butterfly the pork loin. Add more cuts if the loin is too thick in some parts.
Use the palm of your hand to continue spreading the loin out.
Season the inside with a light sprinkling of Kosher salt and CBP.
20220206_114441.jpg
Spread the stuffing mixture in an even layer leaving about an inch border on all sides of the loin.
20220206_115142.jpg 20220206_115155.jpg
Roll up and truss the loin. Insert forks and spit rod.
Sprinkle with more Kosher salt, CBP, and brush on the marinade consiting of:
1 tsp fresh thyme
1 Tbs chopped fresh rosemary
1 and 1/2 tsp lemon zest
The juice from 1/2 of a lemon
1 Tbs minced garlic
3 Tbs EVOO
Give it all a good whisking. Note: I made the marinade ahead of time so the flavors had more time to meld.
20220206_122541.jpg

I kept the loin in the fridge while I got the kettle set up with the rotisserie and the SnS.
Filled the SnS water resevoir with water.
Used Kingsford Orginal briquettes along with four medium sized lumps of FOGO.
For smoke, I used two small chunks each of cherry and pecan.
Kept the temps around 300° going by the lid thermo.

Here is a quick peek during the cook.
20220206_140238.jpg

140° IT and she's done and resting on the counter.
20220206_144550.jpg

Let's see what the inside looks like.
20220206_151116.jpg 20220206_151515.jpg

Plated with baked sweet potato and a simple green salad on the side. And just a drizzle of a balsamic reduction for the loin slices.
20220206_152539.jpg 20220206_152556.jpg

All in all, it was a nice simple Sunday dinner with delectable results. The crab meat in the stuffing was a nice addition
Thanks for dropping by.
Stu

Last edited:
That looks awesome! I tried something similar, but I poked a hole into the loin and stuffed it, yours looks far better and looks like it tasted incredible! I’ve been looking at those rotisseries…..hmmm🤔

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
It may have been simple but it is simply stunning.Very good job on the meal and an excellent presentation. as you probably know, lotsa pics doesn't bother me in the least. Matter of fact I appreciate them so we can all see the whole process and know what we should be looking for in our progress...which means I plan to make this :emoji_wink:

Robert

Whoa, you nailed that cook Stuart, absolutely off the charts, huge LIKE! Aside from a little breeze it's been gorgeous here just north of you, be 80º in a couple of days. Triple digits and the pool are right around the corner! RAY

That sure looks good!
I have smoked them before, but never spun a stuffed one.
Gonna have to give it a try, especially since loins are still affordable!
Al

Hey all,
Thank you to each and every one of you very for the kind words and the likes.

Stu

That looks awesome! I tried something similar, but I poked a hole into the loin and stuffed it, yours looks far better and looks like it tasted incredible! I’ve been looking at those rotisseries…..hmmm🤔

Thanks, Jed. Iv'e seen that method done before. Though, I do like the jelly roll look.
You know, at some point, you got to stop looking and just get one. :emoji_sunglasses:

It may have been simple but it is simply stunning.Very good job on the meal and an excellent presentation. as you probably know, lotsa pics doesn't bother me in the least. Matter of fact I appreciate them so we can all see the whole process and know what we should be looking for in our progress...which means I plan to make this :emoji_wink:

Robert

Thanks, Robert. A lot times I forget to take pictures. Plus, I am not a very good photographer to begin with. I really enjoyed the process of making this. It was easy and relaxing. Or maybe it was the couple of beers?

Whoa, you nailed that cook Stuart, absolutely off the charts, huge LIKE! Aside from a little breeze it's been gorgeous here just north of you, be 80º in a couple of days. Triple digits and the pool are right around the corner! RAY

Thank you, Ray. We can hardly wait for summer too. Enjoy these next few days. They're forecasting some cooler temps for us all next week.

Thats a great cook ! Looks fantastic .

Thank you, Rich.

Awesome is the only way I can see to describe that meal.

Warren

Thanks, Warren. It sure was tasty.

Looks Outstanding, Stu!!
Nice Job!!
Like.

Bear

Thank you, John. I'm already planning the next one.

That sure looks good!
I have smoked them before, but never spun a stuffed one.
Gonna have to give it a try, especially since loins are still affordable!
Al

Thank you, Al. I've spun plenty of unstuffed ones too. I really liked how the juices from the stuffing basted the loin during the cook.

SHS, I'll take a plate please, nice job !

Thanks! I am actually surprised that this one didn't get devoured right away.

QUOTE="DRKsmoking, post: 2299475, member: 233852"]
Don't apologize for lots of pictures as TNJAKE TNJAKE post recently some of us can't read well so we need pictures ...lol

That is great looking and I bet tasty. I love cutting and rolling pork loins
Well done

David
[/QUOTE]

Thanks, David. I was tasty. Too bad fresh crab wasn't available down here. The canned stuff was just so-so. Cutting and rolling the loins really isn't difficult.
However, my trussing skills leave a lot to be desired. LOL.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky