Final Smoked Salmon with recipe, instructions, and Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have wanted to do some salmon and stumbled on this old thread. Thanks for the very detailed recipe and instructions. Everything looks great.

I have wanted to do some salmon and stumbled on this old thread. Thanks for the very detailed recipe and instructions. Everything looks great.
Thank You Joe!!

Let me know how you like it !!

And Thanks for the 
points.gif

Bear

Dang this looks good. Going to try this next time. Just smoked some whitefish today, but didn't like it as much as smoked salmon.

Dang this looks good. Going to try this next time. Just smoked some whitefish today, but didn't like it as much as smoked salmon.
Thank You!!

So far I used this recipe & method on Salmon, Tuna, Tilapia, Trout, Striped Bass, Perch, and Swordfish, and they have all been Great.

Bear

Just started smoking salmon and your method/recipe looks great!  Anxious to try it.  Will have to use store caught though, not much wild salmon in the streams in Kentucky.

Please file this under "Dumb Question Category" however I have to ask.

I tried and go thru the comments section (got about halfway thru) and did not see this asked. 

The final part of the original recipe has the smoked salmon vacuum packed and put in the freezer. Is this step required to cure the salmon, kill parasites or is it just for storage?

Also if it is required is it due to the possible parasite issue?  If so is using previously frozen salmon make this step unnecessary?

Thanx,

Jim

Just started smoking salmon and your method/recipe looks great!  Anxious to try it.  Will have to use store caught though, not much wild salmon in the streams in Kentucky.
Thank You!

Yup---Nothing around here in PA either.

Have to run to NY for Salmon.

Bear

Please file this under "Dumb Question Category" however I have to ask.

I tried and go thru the comments section (got about halfway thru) and did not see this asked. 

The final part of the original recipe has the smoked salmon vacuum packed and put in the freezer. Is this step required to cure the salmon, kill parasites or is it just for storage?

Also if it is required is it due to the possible parasite issue?  If so is using previously frozen salmon make this step unnecessary?

Thanx,

Jim
Hi Jim,

That Freezing after it's all done is so I can milk it for months, instead of eating it all in a week.

As noted, I froze these Fillets below Zero for at least 30 days to eliminate any possible Parasites. No further freezing is needed.

Bear

My MES did not produce as much smoke as I needed.  I figure it was due to the air temp being in the high 70's so the heating element was not on long enough.  I ended up bringing the temp up higher earlier than the schedule you put out in the first post.  I also started some chips outside with a lighter and dropped them in to help with the smoke.

We mixed some yogurt with dill and chopped some red onion to go with it.  It was GREAT!  Even saved one small piece to try the next day.  Going to buy the smoker attachment you recommend and do it again! 

Thanks Bear!

Jim

My MES did not produce as much smoke as I needed.  I figure it was due to the air temp being in the high 70's so the heating element was not on long enough.  I ended up bringing the temp up higher earlier than the schedule you put out in the first post.  I also started some chips outside with a lighter and dropped them in to help with the smoke.

We mixed some yogurt with dill and chopped some red onion to go with it.  It was GREAT!  Even saved one small piece to try the next day.  Going to buy the smoker attachment you recommend and do it again! 

Thanks Bear!

Jim
Glad you liked it, Jim!!

Sorry about the lack of Smoke. I used to have those same Problems until I got my Amazing Smokers.

I used to bump my heat up 10° every so often to get it to smoke more. Then when it got higher than I wanted the Temp, I'd cut it way back & open the door awhile. Then start bumping it up 10° at a time again.   The Amazing Smoker saved me from that BS, and I've been a Happy Smoker ever since.

Click on the "A-MAZE-N-SMOKER" business card at the bottom of most of these pages. Todd will help you out.

Bear

On your recipe, you have two different temperatures.  One says "Internals".  What is the difference between the two.

Sorry, I am new to smoking fish (any meat for that matter) and don't know the process and terminology yet.

On your recipe, you have two different temperatures.  One says "Internals".  What is the difference between the two.

Sorry, I am new to smoking fish (any meat for that matter) and don't know the process and terminology yet.
No problem Freddi !!

The one is the Temp of the air in my Smoker at that time.

The Internal Temp is the Temp of the center of the meat at the Thickest point.

Bear

Perfect.  That is not what I would have guessed and I am glad you clarified it for me.

Thanks,

Bruce

Back Again, I've got some nice Steel head we got at Sam's  not gunna smoke it just grilling but using your brine 

Love this stuff 
icon14.gif

Gary

Bear, this thread is like seven years of testimonials to your great process and recipe.  I didn’t find it until Oct of ’13 and have used it ever since winning accolades from friends and family.  I have played a bit over the years with the brine ingredients, mostly changing the soy to Teriyaki or Worcestershire, and sometimes a mix, but no matter what it always comes out great.  I just wanted to add my thanks.  My first smoked salmon was in 2010 and was so salty that it went into the trash and I didn’t try again for a couple of years.  It wasn’t until I found your process that I got an acceptable batch.  I used it today on 5 lbs of Gulf of Maine Salmon.  So again, thank you.

Also, I never noticed your signature line before; I was in Dong Tam in ‘67. Our unit, 213[sup]th[/sup] Eng. Det. built the protective shell and cement basins around the 2 large fuel tanks near the airfield among other things.  It appears that they were hit and possibly destroyed in ’69 - http://15thengineer.50megs.com/night_probe.htm

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky