Filet & Redfish; Surf n Turf Southern Style

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
I was at work today, when a co-worker asked if anyone wanted a whole, single redfish. Never one to miss out on a chance for fresh seafood, when no one accepted, I gladly did. I immediately knew what I was going to do, filet it, keep the skin on, season and cook over charcoal. One of, if not my favorite ways to cook reds. Well, the fish turned out to be a little on the small side, but still nice enough to continue with the original plan. I just decided to thaw out a couple of prime filets I had in the freezer. My better half and I were going to have an extra good dinner!

308A6F6C-F1EB-48FF-98B2-4CA7AABEE4BE.jpeg
Not the best pic, but I was riding in the back of a box truck when I took it.

C383D518-8AFC-4220-8062-77C112D04882.jpeg
My go to for grilled redfish: Tony’s, fresh parsley, butter and lemon. I keep it simple here. Today I added a touch of dill. I’ve been using it a lot (salmon), lately, so I just went with it.

906CA7C2-6036-48B5-83B5-8732F39B9A9C.jpeg
Here they are right as I was about to pull them.

EB23811C-9049-495F-8CEE-EDAD5E92FDB1.jpeg
We dug in so fast, I hardly got a plated pic, but here’s a pic of what could’ve easily been the best bite!
737A16D1-40D0-431B-95A2-5E22EF6863B7.jpeg
And as you can see, the fish separates from the skin nicely. That charcoal really gives the redfish the most wonderful flavor. If you haven’t tried it this way, I’d highly recommend!!

Love doing Redfish on the half shell. This time of year we have it every other week. Glad to see you left the ribs on the filets as well. Most people here just cut them off and toss them out. :emoji_flushed:
Your meal looks GREAT. Nice addition with the steak as well.

Reactions: 73saint
Love doing Redfish on the half shell. This time of year we have it every other week. Glad to see you left the ribs on the filets as well. Most people here just cut them off and toss them out. :emoji_flushed:
Your meal looks GREAT. Nice addition with the steak as well.
Man, you ain’t lying about the ribs. That belly meat is sooooo good, just gotta watch the bones. It’s got a different texture but I love it! Thanks for the compliment!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky