Filet Mignon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dkmiller16

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 16, 2018
Did a couple 2.5" thick filets this weekend. Got my 1/2" thick steel up close to 500° and got that good sear! Salt and pepper and then some black truffle sea salt butter after it came off the grill and was resting
20200816_183402.jpg
20200816_183025.jpg
20200816_212830.jpg
20200816_212654.jpg

Looks great! How long do you brine it for? I did filet mignon a month ago and salt (non kosher, iodined) and peppered it for 12 hrs before and it was amazing. Tried the same thing weeks later but with coarse kosher salt and it came out so salty it was inedible... wasted some expensive omaha cuts basically.

The first time, for the 12 hr brine I didn’t drown the steak in salt and also cleaned it with a paper towel of any excess salt after it finished brining. People suggest to only use kosher salt without iodine and that iodine will dry the steak badly, but I didn’t find this to be true.
The second time, the ruined salty steak — i put a lot of kosher salt all over it and brined overnight and didn’t wipe any excess. The reason i did it was because in all videos and recipes, people apply a really generous amount of kosher salt, all over the sides etc. So i tried doing the same and it came out ruined. I don’t know whether i salted it too much, brined for too long, wrong salt, or didn’t shake off excess..

Reactions: jcam222
Looks Great!!
Mighty Tasty looking!
Like.
Look even better if the pics order was reversed. :emoji_bear:

Bear

Last edited:
Looks great! How long do you brine it for? I did filet mignon a month ago and salt (non kosher, iodined) and peppered it for 12 hrs before and it was amazing. Tried the same thing weeks later but with coarse kosher salt and it came out so salty it was inedible... wasted some expensive omaha cuts basically.

The first time, for the 12 hr brine I didn’t drown the steak in salt and also cleaned it with a paper towel of any excess salt after it finished brining. People suggest to only use kosher salt without iodine and that iodine will dry the steak badly, but I didn’t find this to be true.
The second time, the ruined salty steak — i put a lot of kosher salt all over it and brined overnight and didn’t wipe any excess. The reason i did it was because in all videos and recipes, people apply a really generous amount of kosher salt, all over the sides etc. So i tried doing the same and it came out ruined. I don’t know whether i salted it too much, brined for too long, wrong salt, or didn’t shake off excess..
Thanks, I set it out on the counter to let it come to room temp for about 2 hours and then dry brined and let it set for another 2 hours, using coarse kosher salt and pepper, I went pretty heavy and then put some of the truffle salt around the edges. It was just a bit on the heavy, salty side, especially with the resting butter having some truffle salt in it as well. Next time I would go just a bit lighter on the kosher salt and no truffle salt on the edges.

Reactions: coss
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky