Filet Mignon on the 560

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
Yesterday, I got the chance to crank up the Masterbuilt 560 to max and sear off some filet mignon for dinner. Being able to smoke on low and turn it up at the end for the sear made a pretty awesome steak! This was one of the better steaks I have done.

Since it was a steak and potato kind of night, the greens got passed over for some...gravy :emoji_wink: . Seems to be a lot of division here lately when it comes to gravy. I'm a fan of the gravy train, so I decided to do a quick mushroom merlot gravy to have with the filets.

Two filets ready for the smoker. Dry brined the night before with salt and then added a little more salt, black pepper and garlic powder before putting them on the 560.
IMG_5490.jpg

The filets were smoked at 200F until my IT was 120. This only took about 40 minutes. I pulled them off and rested them for 15 minutes while I turned up the smoker to 700F and finished off the mushroom merlot gravy.

I used 1lb of sliced baby bella mushrooms sauteed with onion, butter and garlic. Added salt, pepper and a couple shakes of Worcestershire sauce. When the mushrooms gave off all their liquid, I deglazed the pan with some merlot and better than bouillon beef base. Added a small amount of cornstarch slurry and then removed from heat and stirred in an additional pat of butter.
IMG_5492.jpg

After the filets rested 15 minutes, they were seared on each side for 1.5 minutes. The CI grates on the Masterbuilt have a raised "M". I figured I'd try giving my steaks a brand, anyone else try that yet? Worked out pretty well!!
IMG_5498.jpg

IMG_5499.jpg

Did I mention I like gravy? Here's a whole mess of it with the filet on top. Had a side of baby gold potatoes to go along with it.
IMG_5501.jpg

The doneness test. Perfect for my tastes!
IMG_5502.jpg

These filet mignons were absolutely delicious. I had them in my freezer for a few months after my next door neighbor dropped them off for us. The wife loved this meal as well. So I used that opportunity to mention buying a whole beef tenderloin and portioning it into filets. She agreed so I'm going to hold her to that.

Thanks for looking,

Joe

Wow looks good enuf to eat lol , I have seen some good prices on the whole loin but not at the right time. love the branding

Very nice! Phenomenal looking meal! I love the brand you got there. I did 2 T-bones last night on my 560 and was gonna try this but at the sear stage I realized that the pre assembled unit I bought had the power cord ran behind the little shield by where the rtd probe goes into the grill and burnt my power supply up. Maybe next time I guess.

Reverse sear is an awesome way to cook steaks to be sure. I cooked a couple tonight with a straight up grill and over cooked them. :-(

Yours look absolutely perfect! Big like!

When I buy whole tenderloin I have the butcher grind the tail and chain into burger. Best burgers ever!

JR

Reactions: jcam222
Joe that is just a perfectly cooked filet. With the ability to get that smoker to such a high temp it’s perfect for doing steak like that. That gravy with a touch of wine I’m sure is very rich. I’m a convert to wine and beef in sauces. That last pic is stunning too. Great job.

Just when I think I’m ready to ditch my Traeger For a 22” WSM, I see another post like this about the masterbuilt 560. Thanks for making it more difficult for my but good lord do the steaks look good. Thumbs up!

Very Nice XR! I would say you are going to do that again and again and again!!!!!!

That's a beautiful piece of work Joe, big Like! It really doesn't get much better than a perfectly done fillet smothered in shrooms, I'd be all over that! RAY

The fillet minion is my favourite part of a fillet, so tender and tasty. looks like you cooked that perfectly. great work.

Nice work on the steak . Perfect temp for me and looks great with the brand . Hold the shrooms .

That is a beautiful cook. Wow!
Wow looks good enuf to eat lol , I have seen some good prices on the whole loin but not at the right time. love the branding

Thanks guys it sure was good. the whole loin was going for $14-15/lb last time I checked. I’m gonna have to start paying closer attention for price drops.

Very nice! Phenomenal looking meal! I love the brand you got there. I did 2 T-bones last night on my 560 and was gonna try this but at the sear stage I realized that the pre assembled unit I bought had the power cord ran behind the little shield by where the rtd probe goes into the grill and burnt my power supply up. Maybe next time I guess.

Thank you! And Yikes to hear about the power supply! Is Masterbuilt sending you a new one? They’re sending me a replacement handle eventually. It took them over a week to respond after I emailed them a second time. Guess that’s the way of the world nowadays.

Reverse sear is an awesome way to cook steaks to be sure. I cooked a couple tonight with a straight up grill and over cooked them. :-(

Yours look absolutely perfect! Big like!

When I buy whole tenderloin I have the butcher grind the tail and chain into burger. Best burgers ever!

JR

Thank you Johnny! I use the reverse sear for thicker cuts of meat. Sous vide is my other go to with the tenderloin.

I bet those burgers were good!

Joe that is just a perfectly cooked filet. With the ability to get that smoker to such a high temp it’s perfect for doing steak like that. That gravy with a touch of wine I’m sure is very rich. I’m a convert to wine and beef in sauces. That last pic is stunning too. Great job.

Thanks Jeff! Yeah the ability to get smoker to searing temp is awesome. It didn’t take long at all but gave the steaks a good 15 minute rest before searing.

That looks beautiful. You should bring your skills to the pa gathering and make us some fillets.

Thank you Peachy. I check the dates everytime you guys post a new gathering but they have always fell on my weekends to work, I work every other weekend. One of these days I guess.

Don’t have much in the way of skills, the smoker did all the work here. I was just happy to eat the results.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky