figuring prices

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

eman

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 3, 2009
Mw better half just called and said she had taken a 1/3 rack of spares and some of (MY)

burnt ends for lunch at work. Once everyone smelled them and she told them that i had smoked it. They are asking about buying smoked meat.

A few were asking about how much i would charge to smoke meat they allready had?

Does anyone do it this way and how do you figure out how much to charge ?

Also how do you figure cost for meat that you buy and smoke to be delivered . No sides or serving or slicing. Just smoked meat.

Thanks , Bob

Last edited:
If you are supplying the meat I would ask for $20-25 per rack of ribs, and $7.99-$9.99 per. lb. for pulled pork or beef. If they supply the meat maybe do something like $30-$40 for each load of the smoker - and let them know how much you can fit at one time.

I would try to work it so your wife takes orders on Wed. & Thurs., then on Friday evening she can either bring the meat home from the co-workers in a couple of big coolers. Friday night do prep and either smoke on Sat. or start Friday night and go till Sat. - then set up a time window for people to come over and pick up their finished meat.

A friend of my bosses does that and makes good $$ at it, he provides the meat and usually sells 20-30 racks of spares each week. His cost is usually about $200-$300 and he collects $500-$750.... not to shabby for a little side $$.

Thanks JR,

I am going to have to do some figuring on this one.

I would start with just ribs, they are the easiest to price and you get some rib racks and you can cook a lot at one time.

Be careful that the nice hobby you enjoy doesn't turn into a job, and then find out you're only making 2 dollars an hour.

I wish ya all the luck Bob, but I'll stick to giving away samples to friends, that's what I enjoy, and I almost always get something in return. Like duck, goose, drinks, walleye, perch. or just a nice compliment.

Dan

Eman,

Wouldn't you have to worry that one of them might bring an already starting to go piece of meat. Then you smoke it. They get sick. Blame you?

Might be better to take orders, get the meat yourself, and take it from there?

Just wondering,

Bear

Eman,

Wouldn't you have to worry that one of them might bring an already starting to go piece of meat. Then you smoke it. They get sick. Blame you?

Might be better to take orders, get the meat yourself, and take it from there?

Just wondering,

Bear
That was # 1 on my list to think about.

Yea, I'd just take orders, order the meat yourself and deliver to their house or to your wife when she is getting off of work.  They could pu their ice chest in the parking lot.  I can't imagine your wife wanting to haul ice chests out of the car and worry about collecting money from her friends.

One of my employees does this and sells racks of spares for $20, I don't know what he is paying, or the quality of the meat. I've had them, they're OK.

I don't think his get the 'attention' or time that it seems folks here give them. Just my perception after two months being a member here and talking to him. That said, my guess is yours could command a higher price, but it all depends on the 'market'.

Another factor would be how much time do you have to invest. If you're smoking anyway and have extra room,

it may not be not an issue to throw on a few extras. If you're doing it just for sale, it's a different story.

Bearcarver's comment was the first thing I thought of too, I would not do that. In addition to the risk of borderline meat, their choice of meat could affect the quality of the finished product.

Don't forget to factor in the beer cost.
biggrin.gif

That was # 1 on my list to think about.
Bearcarver's comment was the first thing I thought of too, I would not do that. In addition to the risk of borderline meat, their choice of meat could affect the quality of the finished product.
Yea, I'd just take orders, order the meat yourself and deliver to their house or to your wife when she is getting off of work.  

It's obvious that "Great Minds" think alike!
icon_mrgreen.gif

Bear

Right now i am not working so time is of no consiquence. I am up at 5:30 am every morning anyway .

Right now i am thinking that It would best to Limit deliveries to two days a week . say wed and fri or  something like that . That way i dont have one person say i want one rack and i have to spend 8 hr's doing 1 rack. If i get one order for a scheduled delivery day then i will happily do it.

If i get to where i need to do more than 2 days a week to keep up w/ orders then i'll increase my delivery days.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky