Few dumb questions on the origins of BBQ (delete if dumb)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

paul_alex

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020
I read somewhere on another forum that European colonists and their descendants only started BBQ late in history after copying it from the slaves. The post made it sound look BBQ was the exclusive domain of slaves, despite most Southern families (70-90%) not owning slaves. Is there any truth to this? I always thought both white and black Americans adopted this great technique from Native Americans at the same time. English colonists in Virginia and German colonists in the Carolinas particularly advanced BBQ a lot (basting is an English contribution and the ketchup and mustard based sauces supposedly have German origins) Also do we know the original vinegar + pepper based BBQ sauce developed? And did Texas' spicy BBQ sauce evolve out of that tradition via later German waves to the US.

Reactions: kruizer
I've read similar things along those lines.
Also, I tend to think that BBQ has regional influences as well. For instance, Memphis style versus Kansas City style.
Since Texas borders Mexico and at one time had a large community of German immigrants, it is likely that those infuences were incorporated as well.

But I agree with Warren.
I'd rather be BBQing than reading history about it.

Reactions: MJB05615
One theory is that the word barbecue comes from the language of a Caribbean Indian tribe called the Taino. Their word for grilling on a raised wooden structure is barbacoa. The word first appeared in print in a Spanish explorer's account of the West Indies in the 1500's. Barbacoa morphed to barbecue.

HERE is some other theories to check out.

One theory is that the word barbecue comes from the language of a Caribbean Indian tribe called the Taino. Their word for grilling on a raised wooden structure is barbacoa. The word first appeared in print in a Spanish explorer's account of the West Indies in the 1500's. Barbacoa morphed to barbecue.

or it could be French "barbe a queue", or "beard to tail", referring to cooking the entire beast.... Who knows... The question of “who invented barbecue” is unanswerable: pretty much everybody has done some variation of it.

A lot of this depends on how you define BBQ. I think man (and woman) have been putting food over open fire for a very long time.
i was thinking probably cave men starting bbq. when they discovered fire. not sure if thats considered bbq. this is stupid! :emoji_laughing: only kidding. should get some interesting answers.

I don't think we should count out aliens
poster,504x498,f8f8f8-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

I agree, wherever it came from, there are few things better than cuing or smoking meats and all the spoils that go along with it. And there's not much of a better feeling than watching Friends and Family enjoying the food you've prepared.

I agree, wherever it came from, there are few things better than cuing or smoking meats and all the spoils that go along with it. And there's not much of a better feeling than watching Friends and Family enjoying the food you've prepared.

Mike,

That says it all right there.

Thanks for the like too.

I'm not sure of the history and I don't care but damn it sure is good and thank whom ever.

Warren

Agree. It is amazing.

Let also say welcome to the forum.

Warren

Thank you.

I've read similar things along those lines.
Also, I tend to think that BBQ has regional influences as well. For instance, Memphis style versus Kansas City style.
Since Texas borders Mexico and at one time had a large community of German immigrants, it is likely that those infuences were incorporated as well.

But I agree with Warren.
I'd rather be BBQing than reading history about it.

Makes sense. Its not really important. Just curious.

Thanks for the source. I guess the argument is was the diffusion Native Americans -> slaves-> colonists or Native Americans -> colonists and slaves.

or it could be French "barbe a queue", or "beard to tail", referring to cooking the entire beast.... Who knows... The question of “who invented barbecue” is unanswerable: pretty much everybody has done some variation of it.

I think that has been debunked.

A lot of this depends on how you define BBQ. I think man (and woman) have been putting food over open fire for a very long time.

I guess I was defining it in the American sense of low and slow cooking , over indirect heat. pretty much every culture does it over direct heat.

True. BBQ is amazing. I love it all. The meats, the sauces, the sides, the company.

i was thinking probably cave men starting bbq. when they discovered fire. not sure if thats considered bbq. this is stupid! :emoji_laughing: only kidding. should get some interesting answers.
Some wise crackers at work made this one day....
8K7RnX6.jpg

In general the folks in the South were poor. Much of their Meat came from what they could shoot or trap. If they bought meat, it was Tough cheap cuts Ribs, Bellies, Hocks, Brisket, Beef Shank. Born of the necessity of getting these cheap tough meats tender, Low and Slow Q became popular in the South. Much of the same goes for Southern Regional Stews. Take a little bit of Meat or Seafood, a bunch of local vegetables, you grew or foraged, simmer until tender and feed a Crowd. Stews like Burgoo, Brunswick Stew, Gumbo, Etouffée, Low Country Boil, Frogmore Stew, Texas Red and others. All delicious, all with humble beginnings. I too find Food History fascinating!...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky