Few dumb questions on the origins of BBQ (delete if dumb)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
In general the folks in the South were poor. Much of their Meat came from what they could shoot or trap. If they bought meat, it was Tough cheap cuts Ribs, Bellies, Hocks, Brisket, Beef Shank. Born of the necessity of getting these cheap tough meats tender, Low and Slow Q became popular in the South. Much of the same goes for Southern Regional Stews. Take a little bit of Meat or Seafood, a bunch of local vegetables, you grew or foraged, simmer until tender and feed a Crowd. Stews like Burgoo, Brunswick Stew, Gumbo, Etouffée, Low Country Boil, Frogmore Stew, Texas Red and others. All delicious, all with humble beginnings. I too find Food History fascinating!...JJ

Some dishes show European influence, others African but I would guess all those foods were for the most part shared by most Southerners regardless of race.

Neighboring people's, of Every Race and Religion, have been sharing, Knowledge, Engineering, Architecture, Goods, Cooking Techniques, Agriculture and DNA for Thousands of years. This is the reason, Pierogi, Ravioli, Har Gow, Gyoza, Pelmeni, Kreplach, Mandu and Empanadas, to name just a few, are All a varying amount of filling encased in a Grain Flour Dough...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky