Fermenting Asparagus And HBEggs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Doing some small batch fermenting today.

Wash and sanitize the jars and glass fermenting weights. 45 mins in boiling water.
IMG_8274.JPG

First asparagus.
Cut the bottoms so they all set about the same height.
IMG_5295.JPG

Going to add a couple garlic cloves some pickling spice, couple fermented jalapenos.
IMG_7352.JPG

Adding 1 tsp of the fermented jalapeno liquid to the jar also.
IMG_5345.JPG

Put everything in the jar. Leave 1" headspace for the weight. Put fermenting lid on. These will sit room temp fo 10 days.
IMG_4017.JPG

IMG_5699.JPG

The eggs have been cooling and peeled.
IMG_1045.JPG

I'm only doing 3 of the eggs and using a couple of the fermented jalapenos and 2 tsp of the fermented liquid from the japs.
Couple garlic cloves and fermented jalapenos with some pickling spice. Add the weight and the fermenting lid.
These will ferment for 3 days. At 3 days i will smell, if the eggs smell the same as when i put in the jar i'm good, if they smell bad then toss em and start over.
IMG_0466.JPG

SFLsmkr1, I'm with HalfSmoked here on this one.
Watching. I'm interested in the process, something new to learn. Something new to try, plenty of research to do before attempting.

The recipe for the eggs is from a viable fermenter lady. Its for 15 eggs so i cut it down to just a few to see how it goes. If it goes well i will do the full recipe. Unlike pickled eggs that use vinegar and can be stable in the fridge for weeks, these will only be fridge stable for 2 weeks. So only make enough you know you will eat in that time frame.

Open the eggs up.

Hmmm
Still smell like the eggs i started with. Recipe says if they smell the same then your good.

IMG_9071.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky