Fermenting a So Hot Mix

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pit 4 brains

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 16, 2009
Summerville, SC
Now that my pepper ferments came out well and so did the sauces made with them, I thought I'd try my hand at making a "so hot mix" of cauliflower, carrots, bell peppers and serranos. I want to give it some spice (alot actually) and some color like the stuff I used to get in jars at the store. My question to all of you that ferment is, have you ever used any sort of pickled ingredient in your ferment? I have some Texas Pete yellow tabasco peppers that are really hot and I was thinking of putting a few in whole for looks and a few in minced for heat and hopefully to color the cauliflower a little yellow. I'm just not sure if adding pickled peppers to my ferment is a good idea. I by no means want to put in the vinegar that they come jarred in, just the peppers.
Another thought is to maybe add a 1/4-1/2 tsp of tumeric for a little bite and color. Thoughts?

3" pint mason jars
3% brine solution

I've not done it, but I see no harm in adding picked peppers, as long as they are relatively low portion of the total weight. If you add to much, I'd assume the ph would drop to fast and you wouldn't develop as much of the fermentation flavor.

I've not had good luck fermenting cauliflower. It has turned out testing sulfurous. Interested in others take and tips. I would love a method that works.

Turmeric will be fine. I’m not sure on anything pickled as vinegar can kill fermentation. Likely there is so little in a few of those peppers it wouldn’t hurt but I don’t know. I think I’d opt for finding a few fresh hotter peppers.you could also add those and even a little of the pepper vinegar to the mix post ferment.

I’m not sure on anything pickled as vinegar can kill fermentation.
that was my underlying concern.
I'm going to take trip in to town and look for some other peppers. This season I should have tabasco and cayenne peppers aplenty along with other hot peppers. Looking forward to the harvest.
I've not had good luck fermenting cauliflower. It has turned out testing sulfurous. Interested in others take and tips. I would love a method that works.
I'll post up my process and results. Hopefully it turns out well.

Well I just went all out today with the cauliflower mix and then some small cucs I got at the store. The cauliflower is in a 3% and the cucs are in a5% brine. The smallest of the cuc jar with the garlic is destined to become relish.. we'll see.
20230311_155859.jpg

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky