Fermented summer sausage issue?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wildvenison

Original poster
Sep 25, 2021
Hi everyone,

Looking to make summer sausage on a traditional fermented way however my biggest issue at the moment that I have no smoker at home. So my friend would be happy to smoke it for me but he can't guarantee that he can smoke it on the same day or next day.
Question is whether it's ok to ferment it and when reached the target pH then I put it in the fridge till it gets smoked a few days later?
Any advice and help is appreciated! Thanks

You should be fine with that plan. The meat will have salt, cure #1, and a pH drop below 4.7ish so the sausage will be fine until your friend can smoke it. The temp. below 53*F will stop the bacteria fermentation. You may get further fermentation as the sausage heats up in the smokehouse. Will depend on the lag time of the bacteria. Which culture do you plan to use?

One tip though-do heat the smokehouse up slowly and pull them when the internal temp. reaches 150-152*F for 30 minutes...

You should be fine with that plan. The meat will have salt, cure #1, and a pH drop below 4.7ish so the sausage will be fine until your friend can smoke it. The temp. below 53*F will stop the bacteria fermentation. You may get further fermentation as the sausage heats up in the smokehouse. Will depend on the lag time of the bacteria. Which culture do you plan to use?

One tip though-do heat the smokehouse up slowly and pull them when the internal temp. reaches 150-152*F for 30 minutes...
Thank you very much your answer and explanation!
At the moment I only have T SPX and Flavour of Italy at home but not sure about that they are the best for summer sausage. Trying to source FR M 52 but not easy...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky