Feijoada time!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

schlotz

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 13, 2015
Coatesville, IN
When the weather turns cold the first thing I think of is Brazilian Feijoada. Very common dish in Brazil. There are hundreds of adaptations based upon what meat is available. Classic dish of beans and rice plus meats of your choice. We’ve settled in on this version. It's unbelievably tasty and easy to overeat. Nobody goes away hungry after this meal. Hope you get a chance to try it . -matt

UPDATE: see ingredients

feijoada-3.jpg

Feijoada - Brazilian

Ingredients:

12 cups Black Beans,6 cans pre-cooked
1 whole onion, medium, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely diced
1/8 tsp black pepper, ground, not necessary, I don't include it
3 1/2 lbs corned beef brisket, can be 3.5 to 4.5 lb piece
1 lb ham cubes, medium sized pieces vac-u-pak >> UPDATE: we now replace this 2 more links of sausage
2 lb smoked sausage links - skinless, 4 links (2 pkgs) cut into bite size
1 tbs tabasco
4 tbs olive oil
3 each oranges, peeled & sliced into sections (optional)
4 cups rice
1 tbs butter, put in water for minute rice

Directions:

1. Cook the brisket in a pressure cooker at 15 psi with 2 1/2 cups of water for approx. 1 hour. Do NOT use the included flavor spice packet. Remove from psi cooker & let stand to cool 2 hours. Save the broth, separate & discard the fatty portion.

2. While the brisket is cooking, dice the onion and garlic. Cook the onion with 2 tbs of oil in an 8 quart pot until translucent then add the garlic & cook for 1-2 more minutes. Turn off heat.

3. Separate the beens from their juice. Place the juice in the pot with the onions & garlic. Quarter 2 of the sausage links length wise and dice into 1/2” cubes. Slice the remaining 2 links in half length wise and cut into slightly larger size ~3/4”. Place the cut up sausage in to pot.

4. After separating the fat from the brisket broth, pouring the broth into the pot with the onions, garlic and sausage. Open a 1-lb vac pak of ham cubes and place into the pot. Bring pot to boil for 15 minutes, then add the beans, stir and cook another 5 minutes. Turn off heat and place lid on pot.

5. After brisket has cooled. Cut away fat from the brisket. First cut meat into semi-large slices ~1” wide along the grain, then cut each slice into 1” cubes. Usually 1” cubes will not fall apart. Re-heat the pot (on medium), add meet, gently stir in as to not break apart the brisket chunks. After simmering for 5 min, turn off heat and place the lid back on the pot.

6. Allow the mixture to sit off the heat for a few hours in order for the flavors to blend properly, then reheat for serving.

Meanwhile mix up a hot sauce to drizzle over each serving at the table. Blend the hot sauce of your choice with olive oil to your desired taste. Broccoli is a good side dish.

Serve over rice and provide each diner with a side plate of orange slices. Oranges do a great job cutting the heavy stew. Try it and you’ll thank me.

Left overs, once cold are capable of being vacuum packed and hold frozen for a very long time. I’ve use them up to a year later and still are great once properly reheated.

7. NOTE: If you need to thicken I suggest option #1 but either will work
(1) Take ~ 1 1/2 cup of beans & liquid, place in a blender on high, then return it to the pot and stir in.
(2) You can add a water & cornstarch slurry to help hold the blended beans in suspension.

Last edited:
That. Looks Amazing! I have eaten or made Feijoada several times. Note: If you thicken with Corn Starch and Freeze leftovers, the Feijoada will be watery when you defrost it...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky