feedback on rub for boston butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Too spicy?

• add more cayenne

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • leave it, it looks good

• add less cayenne

• add another spice (listed below in comments)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

goose482

Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
Winter Park, FL
Greetings...  tomorrow I am cooking for a pretty big party.  It is the first time I am cooking for this many people (60+).  My plan is to do several butts, making them really spicy and topping them with a good slaw.  I've toyed with this rub recipe for a while and want to make sure that to another eye, I'm not over doing it with the cayenne... the last thing I want to do is cook 30#s of pork that no one will eat.

1 part garlic powder
1 part onion powder
2 part chili powder
2 parts cayenne pepper
1 part salt
1 part ground pepper
2 parts paprika

1 part ground mustard
8 parts brown sugar

Any feedback would be helpful

thanks

Sounds kinda spicy for me but it's all a mater of personal preference. I personally would not make that spicy a rub for a large group unless they requested it. I would make a less spicy rub and then make a very spicy sauce that way people who like the heat can have it and those that don't aren't stuck with it. Offer several different sauces with differing flavors and heat levels that way people can get what they want

I agree with Piney. You may run into issues with the heat. Around here especially people don't have a taste for much spice in their food. Heck to some people even pepper is plenty spicy so even if you think there isn't much heat at all it may be overbearing for someone who doesn't have a very spicy tongue. I like the idea of having different sauces with different amounts of heat that way everyone can be happy.

I agree with Piney. You may run into issues with the heat. Around here especially people don't have a taste for much spice in their food. Heck to some people even pepper is plenty spicy so even if you think there isn't much heat at all it may be overbearing for someone who doesn't have a very spicy tongue. I like the idea of having different sauces with different amounts of heat that way everyone can be happy.
Hey Ross I didn't know you been cooking for my wife
biggrin.gif
 She's one of those that won't eat anything that is at all spicy and thinks regular black pepper is too spicy

Last edited:
Hey Ross I didn't know you been cooking for my wife
biggrin.gif
 She's one of those that won't eat anything that is at all spicy and thinks regular black pepper is too spicy
We like spicy stuff around my house but in general around this area there are a lot of folks that can't handle any heat. I use to love really spicy stuff but as I am getting older I have turned to like more sweet stuff. I still like hot stuff but just not as hot as I use to. My wife actually makes the comment that she wonders where the spicy food eating guy she married went. haha She now likes food spicer than I do.

I'd have to agree with Piney & Ross on this and like the idea of varying heat levels in sauces that can be marked as such. You  don't mention the folks you'll be cooking for....church ladies, seniors, bunch of Cajuns etc. While looking at your recipe & thinking of the 30 pounds of pork I'm assuming a 'part' might be a cup to make enough rub. And, to me, 2 cups of cayenne is an awful lot but that's my opinion and I'm a spicy food lover. Another alternative, if you want to road test your recipe, would be to make a small batch and use it on 1 or 2 pieces to see the results. Mark them with toothpicks or something, then you can get opinions from some of the chili heads. Good luck with the cook....let us know how it turns out.

Greetings...  tomorrow I am cooking for a pretty big party.  It is the first time I am cooking for this many people (60+).  My plan is to do several butts, making them really spicy and topping them with a good slaw.  I've toyed with this rub recipe for a while and want to make sure that to another eye, I'm not over doing it with the cayenne... the last thing I want to do is cook 30#s of pork that no one will eat.

1 part garlic powder
1 part onion powder
2 part chili powder
2 parts cayenne pepper (cut quantity in half)
1 part salt (increase salt 2 part)
1 part ground pepper
(cut quantity in half)
2 parts paprika

1 part ground mustard (cut quantity in half)
8 parts brown sugar
I think the tweaks above will still be spicy but acceptable.

plus you can always serve with an extra hot sauce for the hot heads!

Remember once its done, you can add heat but you can't take it away.

Here is mine, my recipe is ok for butts but I cut back on the pepper and cayenne for ribs.
  • 1/3 cup coarse salt (kosher or sea)
  • 1-1/2 cup (packed) Sugar in the Raw(brown sugar is ok)
  • 1-1/4 cup paprika
  • 1 Tbsp freshly coarse ground black pepper
  • 2 Tbsp garlic powder
  • ¼ cup dried onion flakes
  • ¼ cup onion powder
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 2 tsp coriander or Ginger
  • 1 Tbsp rosemary

I have to agree with the others. I've had the same issues with too spicy. We like very spicy foods, but the majority of our guests don't. So Piney's idea of having different sauces with varied heat levels sounds like a winner to me. Just use a basic pork rub with little to no heat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky