Feast or Famine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thesmokindogs

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 12, 2016
Sloan, NY - suburb of Buffalo
Mostly feast - today anyway.

Started out mesquite smoking a half bushel of fresh red bell peppers for the annual soup event in March We'll slice them up and freeze them. While they were working we started on a batch of Jeff's shrimp stuffed jalapeño poppers. I told my wife about a tip Jeff shared which was to file down the edges of an old spoon to use in cleaning the seeds and membrane of the jalapeños. I received the same look every husband gets when he has said something about a shortcut she's already figured out long ago. She opened the silverware drawer and handed me a grapefruit spoon. Ah, the price of being married to a culinary instructor....

Anyway, while the poppers are cooking, I've got two pork loins staging. One has an Asian rub the other has a Memphis style BBQ rub. I'll put them in after the poppers have worked for about 90 minutes. I'm using a mixture of pecan and apple for the poppers and the loins.

When I put in the pork loins I'm also going to add a 50/50 mixture of fresh apple cider and water to the pan.

I'll post more pics when it's all done.

20180929_150438.jpg 20180929_150915.jpg 20180929_153056.jpg 20180929_155003.jpg 20180929_163811.jpg

Last edited:
20180929_194250.jpg

Loins came out nice The one on the left is BBQ. The Asian seasoned loin got done quick. I hit the 5 spice seasoning amount just right! Whew! Was a little worried because of the cloves and anise but it came through very subtly

Reactions: gmc2003
That looks like a fine plate of culinary vittles right there.

Point for sure.
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky