Feast or Famine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thesmokindogs

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 12, 2016
Sloan, NY - suburb of Buffalo
Mostly feast - today anyway.

Started out mesquite smoking a half bushel of fresh red bell peppers for the annual soup event in March We'll slice them up and freeze them. While they were working we started on a batch of Jeff's shrimp stuffed jalapeño poppers. I told my wife about a tip Jeff shared which was to file down the edges of an old spoon to use in cleaning the seeds and membrane of the jalapeños. I received the same look every husband gets when he has said something about a shortcut she's already figured out long ago. She opened the silverware drawer and handed me a grapefruit spoon. Ah, the price of being married to a culinary instructor....

Anyway, while the poppers are cooking, I've got two pork loins staging. One has an Asian rub the other has a Memphis style BBQ rub. I'll put them in after the poppers have worked for about 90 minutes. I'm using a mixture of pecan and apple for the poppers and the loins.

When I put in the pork loins I'm also going to add a 50/50 mixture of fresh apple cider and water to the pan.

I'll post more pics when it's all done.

20180929_150438.jpg 20180929_150915.jpg 20180929_153056.jpg 20180929_155003.jpg 20180929_163811.jpg

Last edited:
20180929_194250.jpg

Loins came out nice The one on the left is BBQ. The Asian seasoned loin got done quick. I hit the 5 spice seasoning amount just right! Whew! Was a little worried because of the cloves and anise but it came through very subtly

Reactions: gmc2003
That looks like a fine plate of culinary vittles right there.

Point for sure.
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky