favorite whole chicken brine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Put the chicken in the Family's Favorite Brine recipe last night, gonna set it up to dry tonight and then dry rub it with Bubba Chix Rub and smoke it tomorrow. Can't wait to see how it turns out!!! How long should I put the rub on before I throw it on the smoker?

In my opinion, after using this brine for the last 10 chickens that I have done, I would not even use the rub. The brine has/adds such a great flavor to the chicken, a rub really is not needed. But if you really must add the rub, about a half hour to 45 mins before you put it on the smoker should be good.

Here is my favorite..
Buttermilk Brine

1/2 Gallon buttermilk
1/4 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup rub
1/8 cup hot sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
6 green onions chopped
5 cloves of garlic smashed
1/4 cup hot water

Try it. You will like it!!

In my opinion, after using this brine for the last 10 chickens that I have done, I would not even use the rub. The brine has/adds such a great flavor to the chicken, a rub really is not needed. But if you really must add the rub, about a half hour to 45 mins before you put it on the smoker should be good.
Thanks for the heads up. I decided to go ahead and go all the way this time around with the brine and the rub since I'm feeling motivated. Will probably do just a bribe next time. I also decided to cook up a smaller portion of Gary's smoked baked beans to go on the side with some mashed potatoes the wife will be making. Here are some pics of the beans on the BGE and the chicken from brining to dry rub.
Gonna put the chicken on in about an hour. Getting excited!
The chicken is on. Just gotta wait for a while and check the temperature in about an hour.

Last edited:
May sound funky but I've done a grape juice and herbes de provenve, Brown sugar and light garlic brine on a whole spatchcocked bird that turned out pretty darn good.

Last edited:
I'm not much fun when it comes to brines, tho I do use them.

No, its just that most stuff folks put in them has no effect, IMO. 

Some salt, some sugar,................................done. Unless you add I guess some aromatics of some sort like perhaps pepper corns and bay leaves? Even then you best boil it and make a tea. 

I’m trying to smoke 4 whole chickens all are around 5 lbs I have Morton’s tender quick how much should I use

What's your goal. Moist, seasoned bird or Hammy tasting chicken. TQ gives a hammy flavor with pink dark meat. Salt brings season and tenderize but still taste like chicken. For TQ info, message Bearcarver. He's the goto on TQ...JJ

Easy, weigh the bird, weigh enough water to cover. Multiply the total weight by .02 (2%). 2% is the salinity of store bought Ham on the Bone. Mix that weight of salt in the water and add any other flavoring. Soaking overnight or 3 days, the bird will never get any saltier than 2%...JJ

Welcome to the SMF Family...This is what I use for Whole smoked Chicken...JJ

Families Favorite Brine

1/2C Kosher Salt

2T Paprika

2T Gran. Garlic

2T Gran. Onion

2T Dry Thyme

2T Black Pepper

1C Vinegar (Any)

1-11/2Gal Cold Water to cover Chix

1T Red Pepper Flake Optional

Mix well and Soak the Bird over night or up to 24 Hours.

Remove the Chix, rinse if desired and pat dry with paper towels.

Place in an open container in the refrigerator overnight or up to 24 hours for the Skin to dry.

This will give a crispier skin when Smokng or Roasting...

Bubba Chix Rub

1/2C Raw Sugar

2T Paprika (I use Smoked if I'm just Grilling)

1T Cayenne

1T Gran. Garlic

1T Gran. Onion

1tsp Black Pepper

1tsp Wht Pepper

1tsp Allspice

1tsp Bell's Poultry Seasoning (optional)

Mix well and rub on Oil or Butter coated Chicken.

Reduce Cayenne to 1teaspoon if less heat is desired.

Good Luck!

How do you think this would taste on a Thanksgiving Turkey? Wife is doing traditional in the oven so that's covered. Just wondering how this chicken recipe would translate to Thanksgiving smoked turkey. Might be an interesting addition. Lemme know what you think!

Tastes Great! I use that Brine on all Poultry. A Friend in the UK sells Smoked Turkeys and uses that brine...JJ

You don't need to inject when Brined. The Rubs I use is above, with the Brine Recipe...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky