Favorite War Movie???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Let's not forget to add "Kelly's Heroes".  But, the list is long, and looks to be added to as other members check in.  I enjoy mosst of those listed here already as well.  To all Vets, and current Military Members, Thank you for your service!!!!!  Steve

Mine would be Hamburger Hill, Platoon, We Were Soldiers, The Pacific and Band of Brothers mini series, Black Hawk Down, and Saving Private Ryan...

One that still stands out as an all time favorite is Uncommon Valor with Gene Hackman, Randall "Tex" Cobb, and Patrick Swayze. Love that movie!!

Robert

It's hard to pick out a single war movie as my all time favorite, but if I had to do so, it would be Apocalypse Now.

Rounding out my next top 10 would include, in no particular order:

- Platoon

- Full Metal Jacket

- Paths of Glory

- The Hurt Locker

- Das Boot

- The Thin Red Line

- Inglorious Bastards

- Gallipoli

- Come and See

- Letters From Iwo Jima

Kat - Thanks for mentioning Dr. Strangelove. I didn't include it only because, beyond being a war movie, it's of my favorite movies of all time of any genre, and happens to be the only movie I've ever purchased.

Last edited:
It's hard to pick out a single war movie as my all time favorite, but if I had to do so, it would be Apocalypse Now.

Rounding out my next top 10 would include, in no particular order:

- Platoon

- Full Metal Jacket

- Paths of Glory

- The Hurt Locker

- Das Boot

- The Thin Red Line

- Inglorious Bastards

- Gallipoli

- Come and See

- Letters From Iwo Jima

Kat - Thanks for mentioning Dr. Strangelove. I didn't include it only because, beyond being a war movie, it's of my favorite movies of all time of any genre, and happens to be the only movie I've ever purchased.
I forgot about Full Metal Jacket...also one of my favorites!

Favorites

Red October (#1)

Destination Tokyo

Green Beret

Run Silent Run Deep

Tora Tora Tora

The Great Escape

Up Periscope

Sgt. York

Torpedo Run

Sands of Iwo Jima

Honorable Mentions

The Sea Chase

They Were Soldiers

Cockershell Heros

Midway

I added Red October, its really a war movie and you’ve no idea how realistic it was. LOL and only four  John Wayne movies, the times they are a changing. Red October is my number one, but the others are watched just as much. Hard to have a most favorite. Green Beret and 4[sup]th[/sup] of July IMHO were totally about the countries state of mind at the time of Viet Nam, much like the deer hunter.

Books

Johnny Got His Gun - Dalton Trumbo

Blind Man's Bluff - Chris Drew ( true story)

Last edited:
LOL---I like all of the movies you guys listed, but it was supposed to be harder to do.

I asked for your favorite movie.

Mine was Sgt York-----A very old, but Awesome movie.

Probably many of you never even saw it.

Thanks for all the Great Participation !!!

Bear

I'm pretty sure I saw sgt York ... Isn't that where he was asked how he killed so many Germans , and his answer was he shot them like he used to shoot wild turkeys back home . When they got in a line he shot the last one first and then the second to last and so on ??? Lol I'm trying to remember !

But it was based on a true story ?

I'm pretty sure I saw sgt York ... Isn't that where he was asked how he killed so many Germans , and his answer was he shot them like he used to shoot wild turkeys back home . When they got in a line he shot the last one first and then the second to last and so on ??? Lol I'm trying to remember !

But it was based on a true story ?
Yes, based on a true story, and yes he does that in the movie----Picks off the last Nazi in a row in a trench, one at a time. Even goes "gobble-gobble" to make the last one pop his head up & look!!!

Here's the plot:
[h2]Plot[/h2]
Alvin York (Gary Cooper), a poor young Tennessee hillbilly, is an exceptional marksman, but a ne'er-do-well prone to drinking and fighting, which doesn't make things any easier for his patient mother (Margaret Wycherly). He changes when he meets Gracie Williams (Joan Leslie), and works hard to become a good provider for her.

After he is struck by lightning during a late-night rainstorm he undergoes a religious awakening. York vows never to get angry at anyone ever again.

York tries to avoid induction into the Army for World War I as a conscientious objector due to his religious beliefs, but gets drafted into the Army nonetheless. His status as a conscientious objector is rejected since his church has no official standing, and he reluctantly reports to Camp Gordon for basic training. His superiors discover that he is a phenomenal marksman and decide to promote him to corporal.

York still wants nothing to do with the Army and killing. Major Buxton (Stanley Ridges), his sympathetic commanding officer, tries to change York's mind, citing sacrifices made by others all throughout the history of the United States. He gives York a leave to go home and think it over. He promises York a recommendation for his exemption as a conscientious objector if York remains unconvinced. While York is fasting and pondering, the wind blows his Bible open to the verse "Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." York reports back for duty and tells his superiors that he can serve his country, despite not having everything figured out to his satisfaction, leaving the matter in God's hands.

His unit is shipped out to Europe and participates in an attack during the Meuse-Argonne Offensive on October 8, 1918. Pinned down by deadly machine gun fire, the lieutenant orders Sergeant Early (Joe Sawyer) to take some men and try to attack the machine gun nests from behind. York suddenly finds himself the last remaining unwounded non-commissioned officer in the detachment, and is placed in command by Early. Seeing his comrades being shot down all around him, his self-doubt disappears. He works his way to a position flanking the main enemy trench and shoots with such devastating effect that the Germans surrender. Then, York forces a captured officer (Charles Esmond) at gunpoint to order the Germans still fighting in another section of the line to also surrender. He and the handful of other survivors end up with 132 prisoners. York becomes a national hero and is awarded the Medal of Honor. When Major Buxton asks him why he did what he did, York explains that he was trying to save the lives of his men.

He returns to Tennessee after a ticker tape parade and much celebration. The people of his home state have purchased for him the bottomland farm he wanted and paid for a house to be built on the land.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky