Favorite soy sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cpaysonc

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 5, 2022
Our house favorite "light" soy sauce is Healthy Boy Mushroom soy. By "light" I simply mean it's not labeled as "dark" which is an entirely different animal. Anyway, this sauce is phenomenal, rich, and addictive. It's readily available in most Asian markets. As far as a decadent choice for a table/finishing soy, Jammy Chai 1608 is otherworldly. Pricey, but worth every penny. Everyone that's tried it has been blown away and an immediate convert. What sayeth ye about other delightful, less commonly found in the typical grocery soy sauces?

Reactions: zwiller
I have a slightly narrower world view. The first time I had soy sauce was the little packet with carry-out fried rice. Eventually found out it was La Choy. Tried the Kikkomann...once. I expected it to be similar but MAN, was I wrong. Just turned me off anything other than La Choy. Ever accidently take a sip of something expecting it to be something else ?? That was my reaction. Never got over it.

Interesting topic. I didn’t even know there was this world of fancy soy sauces. I’ve only ever had Kikkomen or store brands.. I’m intrigued to find and trY some of these sauces. We don’t have any Asian people let alone an Asian market anywhere close. I will check online

Interesting topic. I didn’t even know there was this world of fancy soy sauces. I’ve only ever had Kikkomen or store brands.. I’m intrigued to find and trY some of these sauces. We don’t have any Asian people let alone an Asian market anywhere close. I will check online
Oh, in Asian markets there can be an entire isle of soy sauces...We have a state medical university near by and it is obviously dominated by Asia students. In the last couple years the noodle shops, markets etc.. have exploded

Honestly I’ve never noticed a difference 😂 I don’t use it much other than to mix into rice or slender chicken. Now you all have me wondering

I just found and purchased Kim Lan on Amazon per a prior suggestion. Looking forward to trying it.

I just found and purchased Kim Lan on Amazon per a prior suggestion. Looking forward to trying it.
It is a rich, less salty soy sauce with excellent flavor. The only soy sauce I will use. They make different varieties; low sodium, light, dark, aged - all very good but the standard Kimlan with the yellow label is my go to soy sauce.

It is a rich, less salty soy sauce with excellent flavor. The only soy sauce I will use. They make different varieties; low sodium, light, dark, aged - all very good but the standard Kimlan with the yellow label is my go to soy sauce.
That's how I'd describe Healthy Boy. Give it a try, it might give your favorite a run for its money. I'll report back after trying your recommendation!

That's how I'd describe Healthy Boy. Give it a try, it might give your favorite a run for its money. I'll report back after trying your recommendation!
Once I find something I like, I stick with it. :emoji_thumbsup:

Been using Kimlan since 1989 when a Chinese girlfriend in Hawaii introduced me to it. Tried a few other Chinese soy sauces over the years, some of which are good, but in the end I have always come back to Kimlan. I even prefer it when eating sashimi - excellent with saba, ama-ebi, maguro and/or hamachi, with some wasabi mixed in.

I. Going to have to look into this. There is an Asian market about 45 minutes from me. I already wanted to go there to see if they carry or can source red habanero this winter.

Reactions: Retired Spook
is this the one, they make all sorts with yellow labels?
1696599653673.jpeg

Reactions: Retired Spook
Will try the Kimlan but so far Pearl River Light is my go to. Dead serious guys, good soy is a HUGE deal. Wonder why your stir fry is not as good as take out? This is a big part of it. If any of you use soy for jerky, totally worth a trip to an Asian market. Not only better stuff but WAY cheaper too. TONS of other cool stuff in there too. Like whole isle of ramen and let me tell you the hot stuff is FN HOT!!!

Will try the Kimlan but so far Pearl River Light is my go to. Dead serious guys, good soy is a HUGE deal. Wonder why your stir fry is not as good as take out? This is a big part of it. If any of you use soy for jerky, totally worth a trip to an Asian market. Not only better stuff but WAY cheaper too. TONS of other cool stuff in there too. Like whole isle of ramen and let me tell you the hot stuff is FN HOT!!!
Pearl River dark is my go to for a dark soy. Mind you, dark soy is NOTHING like "light" soy but essential in many recipes in conjunction with what most consider "normal" soy.

Reactions: zwiller
I have a slightly narrower world view. The first time I had soy sauce was the little packet with carry-out fried rice. Eventually found out it was La Choy. Tried the Kikkomann...once. I expected it to be similar but MAN, was I wrong. Just turned me off anything other than La Choy. Ever accidently take a sip of something expecting it to be something else ?? That was my reaction. Never got over it.
La Choy for me too!

Reactions: mosparky
I very rarely use soy by itself. 99% of the time it's just a small part of the seasoning mix, and I'm curious if it really makes a big difference in the flavor of the final product. La Choy or Kikkoman seem to serve me well both in price, flavor and availability.

Chris

Im partial to the "wings" brand you get with basically all chinese food from restaurants, at least in my neck of the woods. I've tried all the " fancy" soy sauces but still like the wings best.

I found it in 1000 packet cases so I have enough for 5 years.

Ill probably sprout a 3rd eye at some point but so far so 👍

Corey

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky