Favorite soy sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Once I find something I like, I stick with it. :emoji_thumbsup:

Been using Kimlan since 1989 when a Chinese girlfriend in Hawaii introduced me to it. Tried a few other Chinese soy sauces over the years, some of which are good, but in the end I have always come back to Kimlan. I even prefer it when eating sashimi - excellent with saba, ama-ebi, maguro and/or hamachi, with some wasabi mixed in.
Were you under the pineapple field?

We have used many many different ones over the years and have narrowed it down to "THE ONE".

You will have to be able to get it at an Asian market for sure but it by far has the best taste for a low sodium soy sauce. You can see by the almost empty bottle that we like it. I believe that it is Korean.

low_soduim_soy_sauce.jpg

In fact I just used it yesterday on rice with My Korean Fried Chicken.

2023_oct_kfc.jpg

Pearl River dark is my go to for a dark soy. Mind you, dark soy is NOTHING like "light" soy but essential in many recipes in conjunction with what most consider "normal" soy.
Good to know. I have that too but only dark I tried so no others to compare.

I very rarely use soy by itself.
Same here. All my stir fry also has chicken stock (homemade). That said, the Pearl River light is so good I would not hesitate to use straight up.

Yamasa is another good Japanese soy sauce (shoyu) - very good with sushi/sashimi.
Agreed, and good call on sushi. It's fruity and aromatic. That was my first "legit" soy. Blew my mind how much better and different (and cheap). KILLER for that old school jerky brine.

I think soy is like vinegar. You have favorites but need a few for different things. My fave vinegar is white wine but prolly have 6-7. Wife and I had a SERIOUS balsamic phase years ago LOL

Our house favorite "light" soy sauce is Healthy Boy Mushroom soy. By "light" I simply mean it's not labeled as "dark" which is an entirely different animal. Anyway, this sauce is phenomenal, rich, and addictive. It's readily available in most Asian markets. As far as a decadent choice for a table/finishing soy, Jammy Chai 1608 is otherworldly. Pricey, but worth every penny. Everyone that's tried it has been blown away and an immediate convert. What sayeth ye about other delightful, less commonly found in the typical grocery soy sauces?
WHATEVER IS ON SALE or Kikoman

Next time I'm in the commissary I'll see what other brands they have in the Asian section.

Kimlan - likely only found in Asian supermarkets.
I've received and tried Kimlan, undeniably good. Much better then what's found on most American grocery store shelves. I will say however; in my obviously subjective opinion, Healthy Boy Mushroom soy for the win. It strikes me as more subtle and well rounded. Appearance wise, Healthy Boy is a wee bit lighter as well. I was first introduced to it when I asked the proprietor of a thriving Asian market what he and his family used. Without hesitation, he directed me to the aisle and placed the "precious" in my hands. Bless him!

Reactions: zwiller
Never got into Soy or Tamari enough to discern enough flavor difference and select a favorite.
Wife went very low sodium diet due to high blood pressure and I followed.
We use Coconut Amino to get the umami without the salt.
If you are low sodium do not use the Bragg Amino. It has nearly twice the sodium as regular soy.

Interesting topic. I didn’t even know there was this world of fancy soy sauces. I’ve only ever had Kikkomen or store brands.. I’m intrigued to find and trY some of these sauces. We don’t have any Asian people let alone an Asian market anywhere close. I will check online
There is more than you realize.
Check out Toucan Market in the Grand Cities Mall

Reactions: Nodak21
Sorry to bump an old thread but didn't see Kishibori Shoyu mentioned anywhere. Brewed for a year in vintage barrels.

I have been known to sip this stuff out of a whiskey glass before...

51YCx9R313L._SL1000_.jpg

Reactions: jcam222
Having worked under a Japanese chef for a while there are definite differences in Soy. \
I grew up with China Lily. I only use that for cooking with. When eating sushi my preference is Kikoman.
China Lily is a Chinese soy and Kikoman is Japanese.

Reactions: zwiller
I grew up with China Lily. I only use that for cooking with.
Interesting. Curious as to why you pick China Lily for cooking? Until I was well into adulthood I thought China Lily was the only soy sauce in the world.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought China Lily was basically a blended soy sauce vs fermented/brewed. To me it tastes good, but nothing like traditional soy sauce, even other Chinese ones.

Sorry to bump an old thread but didn't see Kishibori Shoyu mentioned anywhere. Brewed for a year in vintage barrels.

I have been known to sip this stuff out of a whiskey glass before...

View attachment 685506
Looking forward to giving it a try! It sounds similar to Jammy Chai 1608, which I could easily sip out of a whiskey glass. Thanks for the input!

Reactions: Culinary Otter
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky