Faux Bernaise Sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

up in smoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Hereâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s a nice sauce for steak or a London Broil (which my brood loves!)

Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s easy to make!
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tbs. Tarragon Vinegar (if ya canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t buy it make it) ask me how
1 tbs. (heaping) dried Tarragon
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp. sugar
1 small dash Worcesteshire sauce (donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t overdo)

mix all up , cover and set in fridge to meld for a couple hours.

I like to dip my meat into it, generously! I think you will too!
wink.gif

Get a bottle of red wine (about 2 cups) vinegar or champagne vinegar…donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t use distilled or apple cider vinegar, go to market and get one of those packets of fresh tarragon (yâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]now leaves and stems intact) in produce department. Put vinegar in a non-reactive pan and simmer-do not boil, put all the tarragon-stems and leaves (you want about a cup or 1-1/2 cups of tarragon) in a sterile jar…save the bottle the vinegar came in for later. Let vinegar cool a little so as not to crack glass, pour over tarragon thus infusing the vinegar with the flavor of tarragon. seal with a nice cork or a plastic cap, let sit for 4-6 weeks, stirring daily. Now take that vinegar bottle you saved or a pretty bottle or bud vase and sterilize. Then strain the vinegar through several layers of cheesecloth into said bottle, add a fresh sprig of tarragon (if you wish). Plug with a cork or if it had a plastic cap, use that. Or go to gourmet store and buy a bottle of tarragon vinegar…LOL! :roll:

Now that's an easy recipe, Carl. When I was doing my Culinary training for Catering, I had to learn how to make a Bearnaise Sauce. For those that don't mind doing it "old school" here the recipe.

Enjoy!

BEARNAISE SAUCE
Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients

1/4 cup Vinegar
1/4 cup White wine
1 teaspoon Tarragon, dry
1 tablespoon Scallion, minced
1/2 cup Butter, melted
3 each Egg yolks, beaten
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Pepper*

Serve with beef or fish, yield 1 1/2 cups (6 tbls per serving).
Combine vinegar, wine, pepper, scallions and tarragon in saucepan.
Cook over low heat until reduced to half, about 8 minutes.
Strain mixture into top of double boiler. With wire wisk or rotary beater, beat in beaten egg yolks, salt and pepper. Cook over hot water until thickened.
Beat in butter 1-tablespoon at a time. Stir over heat till creamy, about 1 minute.
Serve hot over beef or fish fillets.

*I prefer to use White Pepper as it blends in better and doesn't leave black specks in the sauce.

And real bearnaise sauce is much more delicate in taste and donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t forget to temper your eggs! (I love the taste of real bearnaise though). Heck, my buddies use 6 tbs per mouthful!…But I can make a bucket of this and be done with it and spend my time drinking longnecks! LOL :D

Mayhaps I should change it to Redneck Bernieâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s Sauce… :roll:

p.s. by the way, itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s very tasty with lamb also.

You're right about the tempering of the egg yokes, Carl. When I've done something for so long (such as the Bearnaise Sauce), I sometimes forget to include the SMALL details ( :P ) in the directions.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky