Fatty

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johnnyk68

Original poster
Jul 18, 2005
Lakeville (Northeast) Pa
Had a JD sausage roll so I threw it on the smoker with the ribs Im doing today. At 225-250 how long do these things take? What temp or how do I tell when its done. Thanks.

NSF for ground pork is 170*, at your temps this will take 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hrs. I usually turn the bottom side up after an hour or so they cook more evenly.

Smoked my first fatty Saturday - JD Maple, turned out excellent! We didn't eat the whole thing so Sunday morning I sliced it up for on fried egg samiches...Good stuff! Threw in a small spam on Sunday, I'm not a fan of the stuff, but this added a new depth and flavor to it...Think I need to have the cooker a little warmer, didn't carmelize the outside too good. I will be experimenting with this one...

Michelle, my Cowboy Gravy makes good use of a fatty-though I'm not a big fan of mayple syrup in my sausage-

I'll have to look up the recipe Dutch!! Thanks (I'm partial to the maple) I also did the stuffed jalapenos with breakfast sausage and they turned out great...Now if I can figure out a way to get a thin strip of pepperjack down the middle of the sausage...

Michelle, my gravy recipe is found here: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=964. When I do ABT's I try to get the largest jalapeno peppers that I can find. I slice the pepperjack cheese into 3/8 X 3/8 inch sticks. The secret is to put the cheese stick in the pepper first then put the sausage in.

A friend of mine gave me 4 fatties (JD original) and I am going to smoke them bad boys this coming weekend! Earl - that gravy recipe looks real good! I think I may try that with some biscuits!
Geez, I just ate lunch and I am already hungry again!

Stuffed fatties are awsome!! Easy to do too. Just use a knife or fork to open up a groove down the middle, add fillings and reseal.

Cheese of any kind is quite good, strips of jalapeno or poblano, let you imagination run wild!!

Believe it or not, Sam- that happens quite a bit 'round these here parts! :D

Yea, I hear ya, Earl. Well if I can just manage to stay away from this website while I'm at work, I might actually get some more done instead of sitting at my cubicle dreaming and drooling about what I'm gonna smoke next! LOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky