Fattie Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shank

Original poster
Aug 21, 2005
Norman, OK
Hello all,

Going to smoke a meatloaf today and thought I would try the infamous "Fattie" trick. However, I couldn't find any details about the following:

How long will they take to cook @ 220 degrees? What internal temp should the sausage be? (I am using 1lb breakfast sausage rolls).

Do you coat them with a rub?

Tx all,

Shank

Take a pound pkg of Jimmy Dean sausage out of the refrigerator. Unwrap. Place on smoker shelf in a shallow boat of aluminum foil at 220 degrees. Turn once at 1:30. At three hours, remove and eat.

That's all.

Regards,
Aubrey Page

Thanks Aubrey, putting them on now. And to think, I was going leave the plastic wrapper on ;-)

Have a great afternoon.

Shank

Aubrey stole my Thunder, but that's all there is to it! You can put a dry rub on it if you wish.........up to you! I always keep one back for Sausage Gravy and Biscuits.................Incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Jeff

i put mine on the same time as the ribs. i also do them 3-2-1 like the ribs

on another forum ( where i got the 321 from) they have crushed up those twister things, i think cheetos makes em, and put them on the outside of the fatty as a crust 8)

Well, you were all right....it was just that easy. I smoked a couple of fatties with a meatloaf (which was terrible....I mean real nasty) - I also peeled 5lbs of potatoes cut into one inch cubes and put them in a large pyrex dish and for grins threw them in the smoker as well as an experiment of sorts. Several hours later I had beautifully smoke colored spuds - however they did not cook through, basically parbroiled I guess.

I put them in the fridge with the fatties for the night, and in the morning I chopped up a fattie and let it sizzle in a large skillet for about 10 minutes to get the fat going, a little chopped white onion, then I threw in the potatoes and a 1/4 cup of water to get some steam going. About 7 minutes later I had the perfect breakfast skillet going that literally woke up the entire house. The smoke from the potatoes and sausage just exploded out of the kitchen.....it truly was marvelous. I certainly plan to repeat this experiment everytime I have smoke going.

Tx for all your help folks! This is the greatest board ever........ :D

Shank-what happened with the meatloaf and what do you think caused it to be "terrible". Maybe if you tell us what you did, We might be able to figure where it went wrong.

Well, it wasn't the smoking procedure, that went well.

I used a recipe I found on this site. The only thing I can figure out is that I mopped it WAY TO MUCH - It had a terrible vinegar taste to it. The meatloaf being basically pourus just sucked in all the mop. I think next time I am going to stick to my own oven recipe ingredients and try the smoke on it.

Ok, gotcha. When I do a meatloaf, I only mop (spray) it a couple or three time during the smoke. My mop is in a spray bottle and I only use a single squeeze of the sprayer handle. My mop is melted butter, water and assorted spices. No vinegar in this mop! 8)

Shank,
Earl is right on with the mop. Another hint ... the first time I smoked a meat loaf, I attempted to remove the loaf from the pan. This was to be done after the first hour of smoking. My idea was to remove it to a wire grid so that the continued smoking would have greater surface area to smoke. That was a mistake! The meat loaf broke apart and fell through the grid making a big mess. So, when you move the meat from the loaf pan, move it onto a cookie sheet to avoid the crumbling problem. Then place it back in the smoker for continued smoking. Mine finally turned out fantastic!

Bill

Thanks for the tips guys.

If you guys have an alternate meatloaf recipe please post it, I am going to rig one up this Saturday and give it another try.

Here you go Shank...

Dad's Meatloaf

1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1/2-3/4 pounds Country Sausage
1/2 of Medium sized onion chopped (if you like onion add the whole thing)
1 cup of crushed soda crackers
1 egg
1 teaspoon ground mustard powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
salt to taste
pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Place mixture in a large foil lasagna pan and form into a loaf shape, try to keep a space between the loaf and the sides of the pan. This space will collect the grease that renders out and will allow you to spoon it off or use a baster to "suck" it out.

Insert probe of meat thermometer into the center of the loaf and place in smoker. Smoke until internal temp is 160 degrees or to your liking. When done, remove from smoker and remove accumulated grease. Using kitchen scissors, cut down through the corners of the pan and lay sides flat. Slice meat loaf into serving size slices and serve.

Had to copy that recipe Earl. 8) I tell my wife all the time that, "It's better with sausage in it." I like to add sausage to a lot of ground beef recipes, chili, lasagna, spaghetti, meatloaf, etc. thanks for posting it. :D

You're welcome Bob, hope you like it. Around our house when the word gets out that meatloaf is on the Supper menu the kids used to ask "Who's meatloaf, Moms or Dads?" It's been a number of years since the Bride has made meatloaf 'her style'. I could never figure out why she put milk in her meatloaf other that that's the way her 'Mamma made it'! :roll:

As you may have noticed from the recipe, I don't do the ketchup thing on mine. The Ketchup and Steak Sauce bottle is on the table. Howsome ever, when I smoke 'em I spread a bit of my Carolina Red Sauce on the top just before pulling it from the smoker and serving them with more Red Sauce on the side.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky