Fat side up or down?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
ok i'll get untechnical- if it's a junk brisket w/ a 4"fat cap & a bad fatstreak through the middle- i'll try to trim a couple inches of the cap & go fat up for 3-4 hrs.,then when i flip(i always use a drip pan,inject w/ balsamic,worchy,& beer)i lay the 1/2 seared(this is new & worked well)fat chunks on top of the fat side down brisket, flip every 3-4 hrs after that, & use 1 hard(both sides) seared fat chunk for the pintos.after a few hours -place in covered pan w/ the juice & cook some more- let rest before slicing, or pull right then- the temps & times depend on the quality of the cut, the time on the pit, & the temp. but thats just me and what works for me.

i have decided to put mine on the side a long time ago so i dont have to think about which is better. seems to have worked so far!!!!!
biggrin.gif

ok i'll get untechnical- if it's a junk brisket w/ a 4"fat cap & a bad fatstreak through the middle- i'll try to trim a couple inches of the cap & go fat up for 3-4 hrs.,then when i flip(i always use a drip pan,inject w/ balsamic,worchy,& beer)i lay the 1/2 seared(this is new & worked well)fat chunks on top of the fat side down brisket, flip every 3-4 hrs after that, & use 1 hard(both sides) seared fat chunk for the pintos.after a few hours -place in covered pan w/ the juice & cook some more- let rest before slicing, or pull right then- the temps & times depend on the quality of the cut, the time on the pit, & the temp. but thats just me and what works for me.
Sounds too much like work for me lol...

I do fat side down.
1. It results in a better bark
2. The meat should be moist enough with the internal breakdown.
3. I don't like the extra fat soaking into the meat.
4. If you want to catch the juices, put a pan beneath and collect, separating the fat off.

In the end, it's individual preference. This is just my $0.02. Joe

Go to Sam's Club and buy the double pack of shoulders. Prep them the same way but smoke one with fat cap up and the other with fat cap down. Be sure to put a toothpick or something in one of the them so they don't get confused when you take them off. Let both of the rest for the same period of time. Foil 'em and wrap in towels and place in a cooler. Pull them into different containers. If you sauce them, do both with the same sauce.

See which one you like best.

I actually prefer fat side off!  On the last one I smoked I cut the fat layer off. More bark, more flavor, more goodness. No downside at all...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky