Fat added

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by makeme, Aug 13, 2009.

1. makeme

makeme Fire Starter

I am getting ready to try making some more sausage and wanted to ask if I use bone in butts do I need to add any extra fat? It seems the last batch I made may have been a little on the dry side or maybe I cooked the samples a little to long, anyway I made Italian and breakfast, this was the batch I had to toss the next day because of the fridge locking up. I may be so used to store bought sausage that I like to much fat is that possible?

Will a butcher give or sale me some extra pork and or beef fat if I ask?

2. roadrunr

roadrunr Meat Mopper

i do it all the time. try adding 10-20% pork fat based on the amount of meat in lbs. i know some people add 20-35% and more. i just find fairly fatty pork butts, and pork fat to that. does me well. most butchers sell pork fat, and it's veeeeery inexpensive.

3. pantherfan83

pantherfan83 Smoking Fanatic

You can get pork trimmings from a butcher that is around 50/50 fat/pork. For most recipes, I'd use 4 to 4 1/2 lbs of butt and 1/2 to 1lb of the trimmings for a 5 lb batch. How much I would use would depend upon how big of a fat cap the butt has on it.

4. blzafour

blzafour Smoke Blower

I don't use Pork Butt.... I use Pork Trim instead.... It is approx. 70% fat and 30% meat.

Here is a pic. of my sausage with pork trim....

I would give it a try and see how you like the results on a small batch and then go from there.

Blza

5. werdwolf

werdwolf Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I use the pork trim also. Only use the pork fat if I am using venison.

6. pantherfan83

pantherfan83 Smoking Fanatic

Interesting. There is a local packer where I can by 50/50 or 80/20 beef trimmings for a really low price, but I have to buy a 70 lb box. I'll have to see if they have 70/30 pork trimmings.

7. shriv

shriv Fire Starter

my best ring bolonga is a 70/30 mixture with the 30 being made up of half pork and half pork fat. I also cut the binder in half from most recipes. The binder will also make it taste dry. Fat is the key to making it juicy.
    Good luck
    shriv

8. makeme

makeme Fire Starter

Ok well I bought 4 butts @ .89lb, approximately 10 lbs ea and trimmed up two completely then took the other two and trimmed down to 3 lbs ea. These two I made into buckboard bacon and cut up the rest of these for sausage. Wound up with 17.5 lbs of lean meat and 10.5 fat of course this is not 100% fat or lean rather a bit of each in each.

I could not get any extra fat trimmings from the two butchers I talked with, unless I pre ordered it so I proceeded with what I had thinking the two butts I trimmed for bacon would add about all the extra fat I will need, at least that is what I am hoping for.

My next question would be, should I emulsify the fat with my blender before adding it to the mix or should I grind it with my smallest plate which is 3/16 and then add it to the lean meat or just go for it all after mixing in everything? I only have two plates at this time the 3/16 and 3/8.

I will be making breakfast sausage, Italian sausage and I may hold out two or three lbs to try something else with. And now I also have 4 meaty pork butt bones for other things down the road. Got to say I have a lot more respect for the butcher that does this all day

9. uncle_lar

uncle_lar Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

I grind all my meat and fat for most all of my sausage thru a 1/4" plate
    when I make summer sausage or salami I grind the fat thru 3/8" and meat thru 1/4" I like the little fat pieces in my salami to be visible.
    I think its really just a mater of prefference.
    here's a pic of my jap and cheddar summer sausage

10. shriv

shriv Fire Starter

grind the fat and met through the same 1/4 plate.
    shriv