FAST n' HOT Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

eaglewing

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 4, 2008
St. Louis MO
FAST n' HOT Brisket

I learned from you guys

fastbrisket-jpg.jpg

20220724_084004-jpg.jpg

I used a SPECIAL RUB!!

20220724_172512-jpg.jpg

20220724_172542-jpg.jpg

20220724_172624-jpg.jpg

20220724_172627-jpg.jpg

20220724_172934-jpg.jpg

Pros and Cons

ProsCons
Done in 7 hours and it was a monsterFlat was a little too much like just roast beef, but it was lean as hell
The juiciest and wettest Brisket I've ever doneno smoke ring, (I didn't use any smoke tube tho)
Fat cap UP was a huge help to the cookoverall flavor not a real smoky event, but still so dam good
Obviously less pellets
Bark was still great and the cook smelled awesome bcuz of the higher heat

So this is doable without ruining a $55 piece of meat, bcuz I ate it like no tomorrow!!!
It will have a great bark and every bite is a good one, it just won't have a penetrated smoke flavor since it only took 4 hours till I wrapped.

I'll do it again in a minute, but I'll use my double smoke tubes next time

Thanks, for the write up. It is much appreciated. Especially the breakdown of the pros and cons.

But this method is not for me.

No smoke ring, and it looks tougher than leather and as dry as the Sahara.

A wise man once told me “we eat with our eyes”.

What he meant by that was that if food is visually appealing, well then half the cook’s battle is already won. But it can go the other way as well.

I’ll stick to the tried and true “low and slow” method of smoking briskets.

Last edited:
Looks great. No problem with hot and fast. The smoke is obviously lighter, but if a smoke ring is your thing, then substitute a little TQ in your rub in place of salt, perfect pink or smoke ring every time.

Reactions: chilerelleno
I'm not lying when I say it was packed with juice and even the flat was not dry at all. I may have taken bad pics, but you can see those first 2 picks it is floating in fat and juice. It was like JELLO. Again, sorry if the pics were wrong. Tough and dry it was not even close. The fat cap UP helped render juice down at this high heat.
But Hey, this was only my first time in 20 years doing it this way, so I got no regrets.
SloMo, the only reason I did it is bcuz the weather here sucked and I didn't wanna mess with an overnighter.

I'm not lying when I say it was packed with juice and even the flat was not dry at all. I may have taken bad pics, but you can see those first 2 picks it is floating in fat and juice. It was like JELLO. Again, sorry if the pics were wrong. Tough and dry it was not even close. The fat cap UP helped render juice down at this high heat.
But Hey, this was only my first time in 20 years doing it this way, so I got no regrets.
SloMo, the only reason I did it is bcuz the weather here sucked and I didn't wanna mess with an overnighter.
No need to apologize! As long as you were happy and it tasted great! Next time invite me over lol!

Ryan

Looks mighty juicy in that cut shot to me and nice bark!
Haven't tried the h&f on brisket but need to.
Can you share your special rub ?

Keith

Reactions: eaglewing
Guessing you used a pellet grill? if yes, you can try running it in high smoke mode for 1-2 hours before kicking it up to 275.

Thats what I do on my Rec Tec. "Extreme smoke" is 180 degrees.

Looks good from my house.
Love the bark you got on there too.
If I had to choose bewteen having a smoke ring or good bark, the bark would win hands down everytime.

Looks mighty juicy in that cut shot to me and nice bark!
Haven't tried the h&f on brisket but need to.
Can you share your special rub ?

Keith
Well, it's not on the market yet, I got a sample from a buddy and I loved it. He did a good job so far, I'll be buying it when it comes out and then I'll be able to share it.

Guessing you used a pellet grill? if yes, you can try running it in high smoke mode for 1-2 hours before kicking it up to 275.

Thats what I do on my Rec Tec. "Extreme smoke" is 180 degrees.
My 575 doesn't have a 'smoke' setting and doesn't put out a super smoke at low temps either , I get much better results with my tubes filled with pellets and chips, I just got lazy and it was 101° outside, I didn't wanna bother.

Thanks, for the write up. It is much appreciated. Especially the breakdown of the pros and cons.

But this method is not for me.

A wise man once told me “we eat with our eyes”.

What he meant by that was that if food is visually appealing, well then half the cook’s battle is already won. But it can go the other way as well.

I’ll stick to the tried and true “low and slow” method of smoking briskets.
I think you need to get your eyes checked and learn a bit more about smoke rings.

My eyes tell me that the cutting board doesn't lie, not with all that juicy goodness all over it, and the sliced pic honestly doesn't look dry to me either.

You can have great smoked meat without a smoke ring, a smoke ring is just an aesthetic plus, nothing to do with overall flavor/smokiness.
Just a secondary chemical reaction.

Low-n-Slow is indeed tried and true.
But so is Hot-n-Fast and Extreme Hot-n-Fast.
I know, I've mastered the methods and will never again have to baby sit a long 20-24 hour brisket smoke.
Perfect briskets, juicy with nice smoke flavor, smoke ring and done in about 6-7 hours.

FAST n' HOT Brisket

I learned from you guys

View attachment 638615

View attachment 638616

I used a SPECIAL RUB!!

View attachment 638617

View attachment 638618

View attachment 638619

View attachment 638620

View attachment 638621

Pros and Cons

ProsCons
Done in 7 hours and it was a monsterFlat was a little too much like just roast beef, but it was lean as hell
The juiciest and wettest Brisket I've ever doneno smoke ring, (I didn't use any smoke tube tho)
Fat cap UP was a huge help to the cookoverall flavor not a real smoky event, but still so dam good
Obviously less pellets
Bark was still great and the cook smelled awesome bcuz of the higher heat

So this is doable without ruining a $55 piece of meat, bcuz I ate it like no tomorrow!!!
It will have a great bark and every bite is a good one, it just won't have a penetrated smoke flavor since it only took 4 hours till I wrapped.

I'll do it again in a minute, but I'll use my double smoke tubes next time
Your brisket looks pretty good to me.
I'd gladly chowed a brisket sammie from that cook.
Like I told S SlowmotionQue , the cutting board doesn't lie. Look at all the juices!

Practice makes perfect!

Definitely go with a bit more smoke for increased flavor and smoke ring if it's important to you.
Also, if you're trying to get more smoke flavor keeping the outside moist in the first hour or two will help smoke cling to the meat. A light spritz or two of just plain water will do the job.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky