Fast Cured Pulled Ham -- Two Days start to finish

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

floridasteve

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 16, 2014
Bradenton
I've read with interest @TJohnson's thread about fast curing BBB, and thought I'd try his technique to make some pulled ham. I started with a 13 pound sleeve of pork cushions I got from Gordon's.
East sleave has 4 small cousions.
I selected the largest two for the ham, and the smaller two I just cooked for pulled pork sandwiches.

Todd said to slice a pork butt into 2" slabs for the bacon, so I did the same. The cousions were only a little over 4" at their thickest point,so I sliced them in half, keeping the matching tops and bottoms together. I then mixed the cure. I weighed to two matching slabs and used digger dogs calculator to figure the amount of cure#1 and salt to add. I put those into a 32oz salad dressing plastic jug and added an out 2" of maple syrup then fill with water, put the lid on and shook.
I then injected both slabs. Todd said to inject with 1/2 of the solution, but I couldn't get my little roasts to hold that much.
Then into the vacuum tumbler for 4 hours, then into zip lock bag and into fridge overnight.
I repeated all of this for the other chunk of meat.

The next day I rinsed the pieces off real well under running water. I did not soak them. I then reassembled the slices with butchers twine, slathering the inside surfaces with honey. I also drisled honey over the outsides a few times durning the cooking process.

Since the day was quickly passing by, I decided to smoke them at 275* in my MES with Pitmaster Choice pellets. I put both ham roasts and the plain roasts into the smoker on trays 2&3, switching the trays about half wat through. About 5 1/2 hours later they were at about 200* and done.
I sliced them across the grain about 1 1/2" thick, then Shredded the slices by hand.

I had actually foiled them (with honey and butter) for the last couple of hours, so I added the foil drippings and some beef broth to the shredded meat. The flavor is great! These cousions were the leanest I've ever gotten, so they all came out a tad dry, probably helped along by the higher temp. But the nice thing about shredded meat is that it's easy to rehydrate. [emoji]128515[/emoji]

I'm happy with the results, but now that the test is over, I think next time I'll use a butt.

Oh! Out of the 13 pounds of raw meat, I ended up with 7 pounds of shredded meat.

Good post Steve....  You basically followed the commercial practice of injection and tumbling.....    pts....

Great post for fast curing solid muscle....

Great post. I have a vac tumbler that needs some use.

Points.

Steve....  If you haven't tried Ames Phos or STPP, get some...  I'm fairly sure these 2 ingredients are the same...   I use 0.4% in meat products to hang onto the water and make the product really moist...  I've used it in beef sticks and they come out great....  

When adding ingredients for injection,

Fig. 223: Preparation of common curing brine (containing curing salt and phosphate)
Correct order of dissolving components
1 = Add phosphates first, 2 = Stir and dissolve, 3 = Add nitrite curing salt,
4 = Stir and dissolve, spice extracts can be added at this stage,
5 = Brine ready for application

Fig. 224: Wrong order of dissolving components for curing brine (leads to clotted phosphate) (phosphate must be dissolved first!)

For injecting, weigh out 10% weight of the meat in distilled water.... 

Add the ingredients to the water based on the weight of the meat....

Inject ALL of the liquid to the meat...  

Everything should be COLD...  Refer temp including the meat...    Then you can refer of vac tumble....  

Fig. 225: Correct order of dissolving ingredients in complex brines
1 = phosphate, 2 = isolated soy protein, 3 = curing salt, sugar, gelatine and carrageenan, 4 = modified starches and sodium ascorbate

To reduce bacterial contamination of the cured meat, particularly through injection, curing brines must be hygienically prepared and handled. For example in case of poor hygienic water quality, the water used for the curing brines should be boiled and thoroughly chilled again before application. This can be achieved by either cooling the potable water in the cold room, or by direct addition of ice (use of ice water). When using ice, care must be taken that it has completely melted prior to injection of the curing brine. Large portions of remaining solid ice, into which no salt penetrates, would result in too high a salt concentration in the liquid part of the brine. The temperature of meat and brine should not exceed +4°C. One important additional benefit of such low temperatures is the increased amount of protein going into solution, thus contributing to improved water holding and reduced cooking loss of the final products.

Whole muscle products

Fig. 226: Manual brine injection

Curing brine injection (see page 39) is the method of choice for a fast curing process of large meat cuts (entire pieces of muscle meat) to be processed through curing and subsequent heat treatment. The curing brine solutions are injected into the muscle tissue by using either manually operated curing brine pumps with a single or multi-needle device (Fig. 226) or automatic multi-needle brine injectors (see page 27, 39). The curing brine injection should take place in small quantities and repeatedly in various different spots of the muscle tissue. Injection of huge quantities of brine in one or few isolated spots would cause ruptures of the meat tissue and substantial loss of brine. Usually 15-20 % of brine (by volume) having a salt concentration 10-14 % are injected into. Both parameters need to be carefully balanced in order to achieve the desired salt concentration in the final product, which are normally between 1.8% and 2.4%, depending on the product type.

The equipment used for the curing brine injection (pump, hoses, needles) must be thoroughly cleaned and periodically disinfected to prevent the transfer of microbial contamination from dirty equipment into the meat.

Excessive pressure during brine injection or the injection of larger quantities of brine into one spot must be avoided, as both would damage the meat tissues. Muscle pumping, even if done properly, may still result in unequal distribution of the brine throughout the meat cuts. For this reason the curing is usually completed by immersing the meat in curing brine of the same composition as the one injected ("resting period"). This method has the advantage that losses of injected curing brine are replenished.

The "resting time" for products, which are not tumbled, should be 24-48 hours under refrigeration. This will further enhance the uniform distribution of salt and curing substances and ensure the development of an attractive red curing colour throughout the meat cuts prior to cooking.

If tumbling equipment (see page 28, 184) is available, the immersion of the meat in brine ("resting period") is not necessary. In this case, the drip-off of brine lost during injection is added to the tumbler and will be reabsorbed by the muscle tissue during tumbling.

http://store.theingredientstore.com/amesphos.aspx

This is some great info, Dave! I've bookmarked this and will reference it the next time I so dome cur for. Thumbs Up

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky