Fan add on for WSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
How much you want to spend? Do you want a DIY rig or a commercial kind of set up?

Although temperature controllers aren't needed, they sure do add some peace of mind during overnight cooks, and if you want to lock-in a low pit temp for jerky they work for that too. I use one of the original analog systems from The BBQ Guru on my Big Green Eggs, but now every manufacturer has attachments for about any cooker, and current models are very fancy. I see a lot of WSM's set up with controllers at BBQ contests, some are more overkill than others.

Jxuko5k.jpg

I thought maybe you worked for NASA. I’ve never been to a competition, looking at that setup I gather the competition is fairly fierce.

Competition BBQ is a whole different world from backyard BBQ or restaurant BBQ. You are judged on appearance, taste and tenderness and you have a strict timetable to turn in your entries. But the bottom line is, a judge will give a score based on one bite.... so that bite has to make an impression.

Reactions: JC in GB and Murray
I have a PartyQ and it works as advertised, but it runs off batteries and does a good job of draining them. Had to make sure to have fresh batteries anytime I wanted to do an overnight cook. I now have Thermoworks Signals with Billows and that set up has worked great. There are other brands around the same price which is higher than you mentioned, but you would also get the benefit of more probes and being able to monitor or change your cook from afar with your phone.

I just used eneloop recharables. Always fresh for the next cook without landfill waste

I have a PartyQ and it works as advertised, but it runs off batteries and does a good job of draining them. Had to make sure to have fresh batteries anytime I wanted to do an overnight cook. I now have Thermoworks Signals with Billows and that set up has worked great. There are other brands around the same price which is higher than you mentioned, but you would also get the benefit of more probes and being able to monitor or change your cook from afar with your phone.

Does that party Q offer an AC adapter?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky