Fall of the Bone Spare Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Good job! It's always nice when you figure out how to make great ribs, now you can adjust the foil time to get the tenderness you want without having it fall apart.

Great looking ribs, the rub looks just right for me and my crowd. Next time you get to much rub on them, just send them my way. I will take one for the team.

Last edited:
They look great glad you got the falling off the bone you were looking for. I personally agree on the heavy rub being a bit much for ribs

Congrats on a great looking smoke. Looks like you may have dialed them in to where you like them.

Sometimes the cut of meat is the answer...Sometimes you just get a tuff ole ornery Pig :-)

I saw a show the other night...cant remember who it was...on the food network. He was preparing stew, but talked about the gelatin in meat once the connective tissue breaks down...and the properties of gelatin. He said the reason some meat tastes better the second night, after being refrigerated, is the gelatin has a chance to cool down, and solidify...and that it takes twice the amount of heat to allow that gelatin to go back into a liquid form.

So that being said, how long do your ribs sit before being eaten? could it be that the gelatin has an effect on the "fall of the bone" part? I don't know...I will let the meat experts answer than one.

Great post...and great looking ribs! 

PS- I agree with you on the Work part of eating...its why I am not a big fan of crab legs...though I love the taste..hehe

Troy I'm with you about not wanting to work hard when I eat  (unless I have a bushel of blue crabs but that's a different story).  I always make spare ribs and I always shoot for fall off the bone tenderness.  Foiling and including a liquid is the key here.  I use apple cider or beer depending on what I have in the fridge, with my rub it doesn't matter which liquid I use since the flavor is all in the rub.

Your ribs look like they turned out amazingly well!  Get that rub dialed in to your liking and you'll be hooked on spares!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky