Failed Ribs. Second time...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hahahaha that's a nice joke. Have you been here before? Seems like you did. And yeah although it's a lot different to BBQ here but Im positive I'll be able to pull this off.
Yes I have!  My wife lived in Can Tho when she was a child, and we like to vacation in Vietnam when we can.  My mother-in-law and father-in-law recently moved in with us and it has been fun trying to mix some of the Vietnamese flavors with more traditional BBQ recipes.  Fish sauce has been a good salt substitute in marinades, and we've tried adding some of the different Vietnamese herbs like rau ram, ngo gai, and diep ca to recipes.  Sometimes it works; sometimes not so much!  I love bo la lot, but I tried to smoke it once, and it didn't come out very well as the smoke kind of overpowered the flavor and it got too dry.  If you ever have any suggestions for any fusion BBQ recipes, send them my way!

I love my BBQ, but I still think Vietnamese food is as good as it gets!

You have some good replies above for sure. Main thing is to relax. BBQ is done when it is done, the BEST we can hope for is a guesstimate of time and temps. One sure test is the bend test, also, do not be afraid to cut a piece off if you are unsure and give it a try. Your ribs could have gone longer - those were some meaty ribs!!! Temp really is hard to check on ribs accuratly - try the bend test where you pick them up with tongs mid way and make sure the bend pretty much in half or at least crack a good bit. The other is the bone test, grab a bone buy its end and move it around. If it has no movement at all it is not done!

It seems like a pain right now, but once you get it down - you will never forget it and be able to reproduce it pretty regularly.

Yes I have!  My wife lived in Can Tho when she was a child, and we like to vacation in Vietnam when we can.  My mother-in-law and father-in-law recently moved in with us and it has been fun trying to mix some of the Vietnamese flavors with more traditional BBQ recipes.  Fish sauce has been a good salt substitute in marinades, and we've tried adding some of the different Vietnamese herbs like rau ram, ngo gai, and diep ca to recipes.  Sometimes it works; sometimes not so much!  I love bo la lot, but I tried to smoke it once, and it didn't come out very well as the smoke kind of overpowered the flavor and it got too dry.  If you ever have any suggestions for any fusion BBQ recipes, send them my way!

I love my BBQ, but I still think Vietnamese food is as good as it gets!
  Oh I love how food brings people together, makes the world so small. HAHA. Im very glad you're able to eat these strong herbs that we have here. A lot of people just can't handle them. Infusing Vietnamese cuisine with BBQ sounds like a dope idea. I'm glad I found this website and have a chance to meet cool friends like you and a lot of other cool folks here. Keep in touch buddy!

You have some good replies above for sure. Main thing is to relax. BBQ is done when it is done, the BEST we can hope for is a guesstimate of time and temps. One sure test is the bend test, also, do not be afraid to cut a piece off if you are unsure and give it a try. Your ribs could have gone longer - those were some meaty ribs!!! Temp really is hard to check on ribs accuratly - try the bend test where you pick them up with tongs mid way and make sure the bend pretty much in half or at least crack a good bit. The other is the bone test, grab a bone buy its end and move it around. If it has no movement at all it is not done!

It seems like a pain right now, but once you get it down - you will never forget it and be able to reproduce it pretty regularly.
  Thank you for all the helpful info. I've learned my lesson: it's done when it's done :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky