Eye Round not what I remember...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Retired Spook

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 28, 2022
I bought me one of them cheap Chinese 10" meat slicers off of Amacon - not too bad for cheap Chinese junk! To give it a test I bought an eye round and roasted it 450-degrees for 20-minutes then 250-degrees for 1-hour - 125-degrees internal on the meat thermometer and then let it rest 20-minutes - and did a slicing test on the slicer. Not bad at all...

The eye round, on the other hand, even sliced paper thin, was "chewier" than I remember eye rounds being during my childhood - even nice and rare! Nevertheless, once chilled, I am sure it will make acceptable sammiches! I am looking forward to slicing a nice roasted tri tip!!! :emoji_thumbsup:

IMG_1333.JPG

IMG_1334.JPG

slicer.jpg

Reactions: JLeonard
Curious about your slicer. Quality? Satisfied with it? I've been looking at their vacuum chamber sealers
For cheap Chinese junk it is not bad considering the low cost. I did have to adjust the sharpening stones to contact the blade correctly (pretty simple), the threads on the thickness adjuster aren't as smooth as they could be but once you set a thickness it stays put, and the meat carrier has a hiccup about half way through its range - I am sure it is a burr that needs to be cleaned up but if you apply slight downward pressure as you are feeding the food into the blade, it works fine. Other than that, so far, I have to admit I am surprised, but I saved the box and the packing, just in case.

I have some experience working with a few mainland Chinese and the problem with Chinese businesses is that no matter what anyone says, and no matter how much money they make off of something, they will cut every corner possible, every time. It's been that way for 6,000-years - it will never change.

I have to rescind my original assessment of the eye round - after 2-days in the fridge I sliced it up and it is awesome. Incredible sandwich meat!

The few eyerounds I've bought over the past couple of years have been awful.
I bought this one to test the slicer. The day I cooked the eye round it was slightly chewy. Not today - it is awesome roast beef sandwich meat! A couple days in the fridge is like a miracle!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky